Miss Mischief

"You know what I don't get?" James asks me as the Marauders and I walk to Potions.

"What James?" I ask, rolling my eyes a little.

"One moment it's like things with Lily are looking up and then the next moment, BAM, she's mad at me again." James groans, waving his hands around.
Remus sighs tiredly and Sirius snickers, much to James' dismay.

True to my word, I hadn't shared a word of my conversation with Lily in the dormitory with anyone. This however meant I had to endure James frequent musings on his uncertainties regarding Lily.

"Look, James, sometimes you just aren't the most subtle with your actions, it can be kind of annoying,"
I reply.

"Meaning?"

"Meaning that you don't need to try and act all macho around her, Lily isn't into that sort of stuff. If you just act like yourself and stop going to crazy lengths to impress her then I honestly think she'll come round."

"I do not go to crazy lengths to impress her!" James denies indignantly.

"Oh please Prongs just two days ago you were considering doing a stunt on your broom from the astronomy tower to see if she'd notice," Remus laughs.

"What! You're mad Potter." I laugh as James glares at Remus and me.

"What about the time he said she 'winked at him with both eyes' when she blinked while he was talking," Peter chimes in as we all roar with laughter; much to James' dismay.

"Or the time he pretended to choke on his pumpkin juice to look vulnerable and then actually started to choke on it," Sirius pipes in, as we laugh harder. James however narrows his eyes at Sirius, smirking slightly.

"Very funny, Padfoot, you know maybe I should tell Avianna-"Shut up, shut up now." Sirius cuts in, his laugh ceasing instantly as his grey eyes bore into James' whose triumphant grin intensifies by the second.

"Tell me what?" I ask with a frown. Even Peter looks awkward now.

"Well if you really want to know, Sirius-"PRONGS!" Sirius cuts in again before James can finish his sentence, this only seems to fuel James' satisfaction as he grins even broader.

"Come on guys we don't want to be late," Remus intervenes quickly.

"If someone doesn't tell me what you four are hiding I swear to god," I demand, stopping in my tracks.

"Av, come on we're going to be late." Remus insists.

"Why can't I know what you guys are talking about, is it me?" I ask, narrowing my eyes dangerously.

"Of course not, seriously though we're going to be late come on," Sirius says quickly as he grabs my arm and drags me forward.

I grumble in protest as we enter Potions before taking my usual seat next to Lily as the Marauders file into the tables behind us.

"Someone looks a little bothered." Lily points out brightly.

"It's just those four being all secretive," I say, nodding at the Marauders. They all skillfully avert my gaze.

"What do you mean?"

"They're hiding something from me, they won't tell me what it is,"  I say loudly.

"She doesn't even have the delicacy to pretend she's not talking about us," James says loudly from behind us, wiping a fake tear as I give him the finger.

"Maybe it's a guy thing," Lily suggests, shrugging her petite shoulders.

"Maybe..." My words were drowned out as Professor Slughorn entered the classroom, carrying a heavy load of parchment.