Chapter Eight

I didn't sleep the whole time Riley and I had gotten in my bed. I just lied there. I tossed and turned, but I couldn't sleep. It's amazing how Riley slept the whole time. A tornado could fly by and he wouldn't know it. But if I was in danger, he'd definitely know it.

In the middle of the night, I could feel and see some of his dreams and memories. Light was in one of his memories as a child. It was a few years after Mom's death. He was talking about a bond with a robot called Katherine. Riley was listening, but didn't quite understand. It was about him. And someone else. But after a few seconds, he went back to playing with some toys.

Are...are Riley and I bonded?

"Good morning," I heard him mumble.

I turned to him. "Hey."

"I see that you're already awake."

I nodded. "Yeah. I was up all night. I couldn't sleep."

"Oh. That's not good."

I nodded again. "Yeah. But that's okay. I think...Riley?"

"Hmm?" He rubbed his eyes.

"Do you ever feel this connection?"

"Connection?" He slowly sat up. "What kind?"

"A kind between us?"

He shrugged. "I did last night when that Eli boy tried to kill you. And sometimes at night. I can see your dreams."

"I can see yours."

"What does that mean?"

I shook my head. "I dunno."

He rubbed his temples. "Man. My head's spinning."

My hand pressed against his forehead. "You're burning up. I think last night's trauma finally hit you, Ry."

"Great. I'm sick, and you're all...well, you."

I rolled my eyes. "Do you get sick like this after something big happens?"

He shook his head. "Not really. And what happened last night wasn't that 'big' because I've been in missions that were way more dangerous."

My eye brows bent down in confusion. I took his hand. "C'mon. Maybe you just need some breakfast to wake yourself up."

I pulled him off the bed and we headed towards the dining room. I looked over at the clock when we entered. It was eight o'clock. Riley only got about three hours of sleep. And when I lied there, it didn't feel like three hours. It felt like an eternity.

We sat down at the table. Carter, Sophia, and Anakin were already there. Carter asked, "Hey, where's Coop and Crystal?"

"Probably still asleep," Riley mumbled. I could tell he was tired and wasn't feeling well.

"Why would they still be asleep?"

Neither of us answered.

I took my seat and waited for a robot to come and serve me. I flipped my hair behind my shoulders and a sigh escaped my lips.

Sophia gasped. "Oh my gosh! Why do you have staples?!"

Carter and Anakin quit eating when she said staples. They all stared at me.

"There was...he tried..." I couldn't say it. I didn't know why, but I couldn't. I stopped talking and looked down at my lap.

Anakin asked, "Where's Eli? When I went into his room, he wasn't there."

"Eli disappeared," Cooper's voice said.

I turned around and saw him. He looked really tired, but he didn't complain. He sat down at the table. "He tried to kill Breili, but Riley saved her. Riley knocked out Eli, and we took him and Breili to the med room, and the next thing we knew, Eli got teleported somewhere."