Death and Life (Tate)

1994

My mom is going to kill me. She will absolutely kill me.

I skipped school today, but not because I "wasn't in the mood to go" or because I wanted to rebel against "the man." No. I skipped because I'm two months late on my period and I needed to go to the drug store to pick up a pregnancy test.

I returned home knowing full well that the house would be empty right now. I went upstairs to the bathroom to take the test.

Two pinks lines means positive. One pink line means negative. Simple.

After 5 minutes of wait for the results and another 5 minutes to calm my nerves, I went into the bathroom and I grabbed the pregnancy stick. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I held up the stick up in front of my face and opened my eyes.

Two pink lines. Positive.

Oh shit. Shit. Shit. Shit!

I let the stick fall from my hand as I leaned against the sink. I bowed my head down, closing my eyes trying to take deep breaths.

How the hell am I going to tell Tate?

The moment Tate crossed my mind, I lost it. My knees felt weak and I instantly collapsed on the cold tile.

Minutes passed as I stayed seated on the floor when I started hearing loud police sirens outside. I wiped off my wet cheeks from crying and got up. I walked into my room.

I needed to get out of my house before someone in my family came home and questioned why I wasn't in school. The only logical place I could think of was to go was Tate's place.

I grabbed my sweater, throwing it on, and walked out of my house. I shoved my hands in my pockets and hung my head; trying to think of a way to tell Tate.

As I neared Tate's house, I felt my heart start to race and my knees start to shake. I was nervous, to say the least.

"Tate! No! My boy! Tate!" I hear a woman scream at the top of her lungs.

My head whipped up at the woman's voice and saw that it was Constance, Tate's mother. A police officer was holding her back as she reached out towards the paramedics pushing in a stretcher with a black body bag in the back of the ambulance. Her face held so much pain while her eyes were bloodshot and drenched with tears.

I felt my heart drop. The color in my face drained instantly. I couldn't move a muscle even if I wanted to.

"Tate!" Cried Constance.

I looked back between Constance and the ambulance. My eyes began to well up tears; my breathing became shaky.

Finally being able to move, I ran up to Constance. I put my hand on her shoulder; she turned as soon as she felt it.

"Y/n! He's gone! My boy! He's dead!" Constance cried out.

I choked out a sob as I felt my chest tighten.

He can't be dead! He would never know he was going to be a father!

My chest hurt. My head hurt. My eyes hurt. I let loose everything I held back and broke down. I fell down to my knees and let out a loud heart breaking sob.

Tate's gone.