First Comes Marriage (James)

1923

I didn't love the man. Hell, I've never even met the man; and yet, I am being forced to marriage with him. I know nothing of him besides that he is a colleague of my father's.

My mother and father swear to the heavens and back that James is a good man. A great man! A man of many talents, smarts, and riches.

"You should be happy he agreed to marry you, sweetheart! James is a very sweet gentleman! Not to mention he will bring great word to the family name!" My mother told me.

As a 25 year old awaiting marriage and to begin a family to carry on our name, I did not protest. No matter how badly I wanted to. For heaven's sakes, I wish to at least meet the man I am going to marry, but alas, my mother and father prohibited it.

And now, here I am, in my beautifully designed Jean Patou wedding gown that James insisted he pay for; awaiting for my cue to walk down the aisle to my new future. My soon-to-be husband.

I take beep breathes and wipe my clammy palms on my dress to try and calm my nerves and racing heart.

What if he's ugly. Not just physically but personally! What if we can't be happy and I'll be stuck in a miserable failing marriage!

"It's time, sweetie." My father says, grabbing my hand, bringing me out from my thoughts.

I look over to my father, giving him a slight smile and nod.

The doors of the elevator from the beautiful Hotel Cortez, that my soon-to-be husband built, open. I adjust my posture and hold my head high.

The lobby of the hotel is decorated beautifully. My favorite flowers hanging from the second floor balcony. Peddles on the carpet I'm walking on, leading me to my new life. I look up to the alter to finally see the man I'm going to spend the rest of forever with; and I am left speechless.

The man, tall, dressed in a sharp clean suit, dark hair and dark eyes to match. Clean shaved, aside from the pencil mustache, and slick back hair that is parted to one side. The man who's eyes sparkle with thrill and passion. The man who's smile can bring light to any room. The man is beautiful. And he, is the man I am going to marry.

I immediately feel my shoulders relax and my breathing coming out in cool even breaths. I return the smile to the beautiful man.

Finally, my father and I reach the man. My father brings my hand to the man's awaiting hand for me to take. I hold his hand. He brings my hand up to his lips and kisses my knuckles.

"You look absolutely breathtaking, my wife." The man speaks. His voice deep and mesmerizing.

What felt like hours later, I am now legally Mrs. James March.

James and I are riding the elevator up to his suite. The nerves I was once feeling before the wedding have now returned once again. I feel my hand being squeezed and I look to my right where my now husband is standing. He is looking down at me smiling. A smile that seemed he couldn't get rid of all day today.

"Do not be afraid, my dear. I will not hurt you nor will I ever make you do anything you are uncomfortable with. I wish to protect you. To make you feel happy and loved." James said in a kind and soft voice.

I simply nod my head and look back to the doors of the elevators in front of us.

James chuckles, "Does my beautiful wife not speak?"

"My apologies, Mr. March--"

James cut me off, "You are my wife! You should not be using such formalities when addressing me, my dear."

The elevator stops and James leads me out to the hallways towards his room.

"I-I'm sorry, James. It's just, I know nothing of you. I am forced into a marriage to someone I do not love. I-I-I'm sorry, Mr. Mar- I mean, James. I did not mean for that to sound rude!" I quickly try to recover, stuttering from anxiety.

James stops us in front of a door that I presume is his room. He turns to face me and gently places his hand against my cheek.

"I do not take it to heart. I understand; you know nothing of someone and you are being forced to spend the rest of eternity with them. To be honest with you my queen, I am nervous myself. I only know of you what your father has told me. You seem like a beautiful human being and I have made it my own personal goal to have you fall in love with me. Even if it takes all of forever." James spoke, rubbing his thumb against my cheek.

"Thank you, James. I will try to be the perfect wife to you, for you too seem like a beautiful human who deserve nothing but the best." I respond back more confidently.