How could she kill Elijah

Elena toyed with her phone nervously. She looked at the clock- it was 2:00 a.m. After Stefan had left the only thought in her head was the meeting with Esther.

She looked at her phone in her hands like it was something that would explode. She sighed.

She knew that she had the power to change everything, but she also thought of all the effort that had been put to finally get Klaus out of her life.

But how could she kill Elijah, the one that actually cared that she lived, and, although he had broken his promise to her, she could not see him gone. It wasn't that simple, like she had told Stefan earlier. She gulped and then, resolved scrolled down Elijah's number and simply wrote a message and pressed the send button without any further ado.

Like in a flash her phone made a beeping sound and she looked at the received message.

Nervously, she put some warm clothes on and walked down to the living room

Nervously, she put some warm clothes on and walked down to the living room. She walked up and down like an animal in the cage. Her heart was pounding and she tried to calm herself down. She flashed back in her mind to months before when she decided to undagger him, the same rush of anxiety came over her. Soon she heard the car pull up. It was her cue to open the door.

"Elena- "- he said.

"Elijah-" she uttered with a little gulp, trying hard to hide her nervousness and she motioned with her hand to him to enter the house.

"I must say I was slightly surprised to receive a message so late- is something in the matter?"- he followed her into the living room.

She sighed a little and then looking straight into his eyes said- "I never wanted any of this to happen?"

"What, Elena-?"- he said- still quite composed, but she could see the change in the shade of his eyes that he was not happy.

She continued -"We were told that what ever was in that coffin will help us kill Klaus- but we didn't know it was going to be your mother!"

"Yes-??"- he looked at her seriously wanting to hear more.

Elena gulped a bit, although trying hard to keep her cool-

"When she asked to see me- I though that maybe she would help- found a way how to kill Klaus- but- it's not only Klaus that she wants to kill-"- she said and stood frozen waiting for his reaction.

For a moment he just looked at her, and she felt like the earth would open and swallow her. He moved slightly aside and then with a stern face concluded-

"She wants to kill us all! She wants to undo the evil she has created-"

Elena moved forward and instinctively touching his arm simply said: " I'm sorry, Elijah... I...."

He tried hard to compose his anger that charged like a thousand suns blazing turning to her saying-

"I admire you, Elena.You remind me of qualities I valued long before our mother turned us. When I asked you about the meeting with my mother at the Ball... you ..."- suddenly he stopped there.

" I wish... I could... I..."- Elena said in a half voice, her heart thumping wildly.

She could see that he was very displeased- and yet he still kept his calm that made her completely restless now. Then he said- "Come!"

He took her coat and held it out for her to put it on, which she did.

"Where are we going?"- she said slightly tremble but still showing courage.

"We need to pay your witch friend Bonnie a visit!"- he said not amused.

Elena worried slightly not knowing what he had in mind, but she had no choice but to follow him. It was clear to her from the moment she sent that message that there was no going back and she would have to face all that is coming to her. Strangely, deep inside, she was at ease with it. It was like a heavy burden had lifted off of her shoulders.

Bonnie was not happy seeing Elijah with Elena so early in the morning at her door. Elena went straight to the point and explained to her friend what Esther was planning on doing.

"You see- "-Elijah started- " Elena did the right thing... killing all of us means ridding the world of all vampires, but that includes all your friends. So, I suggest we get to work finding a way to stop this, there's not much time left."

Both Elena and Bonnie now looked startled at the revelation Elijah had just sprang on them.

"Esther is a very powerful witch. I can'to just override her magic"- Bonnie said defensively- " I haven't got that kind of knowledge!"

"Whatever resources you need I will provide"- Elijah offered- " in order for this to succeed, I have to have your word that you will keep this to yourself, if my mother finds out that we are trying to stop her, she will not hesitate to stop you."

"All right... but I am only doing this for Caroline- otherwise I would be glad to see you all gone!"- she looked him straight in the eyes not flinching for a moment. Elijah nodded slightly in agreement and didnt't say anything to it. It was clear that his betraying Elena didn't sit well with her friends, but now he had more pressing matters to deal with. Bonnie went to the computer browsing sites that Luka had given her to find out how they could revert the magic that was to be used.

Elena asked Elijah to follow her to the kitchen.

"What if we don't find a way?"- Elena said- " and it's true, Bonnie is no match for Esther!"

He could see that Elena was nervous again. To calm her said -" it's the same as with poison- there is always an antidote- there is always a weakness! -I will have to go now back to the mansion, no one must suspect that you have told me what is going on. You can send me a message and I will be available at any time " - he was ready to leave when he stopped before he opened the door, turned around to face her once more and simply said- "Thank you."

Elena nodded slightly acknowledging his appreciation for disclosing the truth about Esther's plan. He then left and Elena made some coffee and went back to Bonnie's room.

*******************