Coming home

Esther's efforts connected her with the notorious warlock Dragan, who offered her the use of his magic to strengthen her.

" Witches rule the world!"- he said-" we hold the power and the vampires will sucumb to us"- to the closest to him.- " the dopplegaenger will be mine."

************************

" How... am I your family?"- Elena uttered.

" It sounds really strange, I know. The way I look now is not the way I looked then, the spirit reincarnates, but you are my family .I will show you the genealogy tree"- Lia opened a file on her computer  and continued-" my mother's sister Semele is the ancestor we share. I see her in your eyes, your hair, your slender figure, but also in your kindness, purity -all of this must be too confusing for you."

"Nothing is confusing to me anymore- and I want to know everything !"- Elena's eyes sparkled with the eagerness to find out more.

Elena looked at the family tree that was really extensive. Elena looked at it as Lia went through all of it. She explained that it took her some time to collect all the data, having travelled around Europe and the US to get all that was written on their family members. The research showed that different witches kept diaries and logs of the vampire Katerina Petrova especially, and the infant that was given to a family, who had a witch following the child's upbringing. Elijah listened to it not interfering, allowing Elena to take it all in. It was important to him as her family was in many ways connected to him and now it mattered even more. He had enclosed her in his heart completely.

"There were more doppelgangers?"- Elena asked seeing that Lia noted next to other names the word.

" Yes- Tatia, was the fifth doppelganger, you are the seventh!"- " you probably now wish to know who was the first, the one from whom it all started- her name was Zana, part human, part sidhe-spirit of nature, the fairy folk. From her, using black magic- the beasts of the night were created- living of blood from other creatures. The witches created them because... Well, they needed the vampires to fight against demons. They were called Moroi, unfortunately, they were souless. Zana's blood gave them the ability to still have feelings, be more human. They were to be controlled by the witches, as they were the ones who created them."

Elena looked now at Elijah as she remembered their conversation and what he had told her - 'witches wouldn't allow anything truly immortal walk the Earth, every creature needs to have a weakness to maintain the balance'.

"But they couldn't control them? -"-Elena muttered looking at Lia now.

" Although they have managed to, nearly, completely destroy the Moroi, they started to sire their own creatures, creating their own families, and so they spread- until four witch-slayers came and destroyed them all. Witches then still had great powers, so they could maintain the balance. A period of peace and tranquility followed. It was never an easy task. Tempering with nature brings consequences- and so the doppelgangers appeared, natures way to secure herself and make it right again. But the doppelgangers were in danger, hunted and the three before Tatia were killed. Their children and families were sheltered by a coven of witches from our family. Still, there were always those who could fight against us. Many of Tatia's family members got killed. One of our ancestor helped Tatia to flee to a land across the ocean.The witch was helped by another one- Esther Mikaelson."- Lia now looked at Elijah, who didn't flinch at the revelation. He knew that Tatia had to flee, but she never disclosed the real nature of it.

Lia continued-"There were indications that another doppelganger existed...you, but before I could travel to the US, I was attacked. They almost killed me. Luckily, another reincarnated witch helped me. But my recovery delayed everything, otherwise I would have traveled to meet you, and bring you to safety. Black magic is still at work- Now that I am linked with another reincarnated witch, I am much stronger- but your brother managed to become a hybrid, anyway."- the last sentence was aimed at Elijah.