3. Everything Starts

Emilie's pov

When I feel small rain drops kissing my skin, I finally decide it is time to leave the park. Everything is pitch black around me, but I'm not afraid of that like some girls about my age are. I like the dark actually. Night time has always been peaceful for me: you can just walk like you want to and no one will judge you, because you're invisible. Deep in my thoughts and my music, I pass through a group of adults chatting loud with beers in their hands. When I walk pass them, I can hear some whistles but I push the thought away. I then hear "Hey wanna chat a little?" and I roll my eyes, walking faster. Stupid men, already drunk at 9p.m.

When I am at my flat, I switch on the lights and my small apartment comes into view. It's a normal student residence I suppose. The walls are white, as well as the floor. Everything's perfectly in place. It consists of a well sized room, with a bed, a tv, a wardrobe and a desk. On the other part of the room stands the kitchen, not separated from the living room/bedroom. Then, there's two doors : one for the toilets and one for the bathroom. It's perfect for me. Not too small and not too big for only one person. I feel safe here, and that's all that matters.

I take off my jacket and scarf, even though I still feel cold inside. That's when I realize that I forgot to close the window near my bed before heading to the park. I facepalm when I notice that my bed is wet because of the rain outside. Great Emilie, just great...

As I get onto my bed to close the window next to it, I notice someone is watching my room - or me, as I can't see well in the dark -, just across the street in front of my residence. It's just a shadow, and it doesn't move an inch as I watch it in return. I can tell that it's a manly shadow by the shape of it. When the person notices me staring, and as if his moves were planned, he takes a step further to my residence, just under the street light. This action allows me to see more of his features, from his shoes to his bottom face. He is wearing black jeans along with black shoes, but his white hoodie contrasts from his entire attire and the illumination provided by the light increase the contrast, creating a ghost figure. I can't see his face in the shadow of his hoodie, but something intrigues me on it. I can notice the way his mouth is forming a smile, a terrifying smile that will haunt you for life. The one who makes you want to run away for your life. After some seconds of me being frozen under the sight of this ghostly figure, I am utterly terrified when I watch it taking another step further. Feeling more and more uneasy, I finally get a hold on me to close the window and the shutter.

What was that? Was that a voyeur? It's as if my presence at that moment was planned all along and that whoever was there was waiting for me!

"Calm down, Emilie. Calm down. It was just a drunk pervert guy watching girls' windows." I try to reassure myself.

Feeling scared and shocked, I turn on my TV to hopefully watch some tv shows and change my mind. The good thing about the US is that there is always something good on TV, even if the tv adds are really getting on my nerves.
I've finally found a TV serie that I don't know yet, but my mind is still replaying that person across the street and that cruel smile. I do hope that he's gone far away from me. I am now standing up to get something to eat when my heart stops. 

Someone's knocking at my window.

I can't move. I can't think either. I just stand here praying that the person will stop and go away. The sound becomes stronger as each second passes. I just stand still, not knowing what to do. Fear suddenly makes me act and I move, trying to find a solution. Should I call the cops? No no, surely that's just the drunk man that called me on the street who wants to play because he is drunk as hell. Just calm down. But wait, who's knocking at someone's window after stalking them? No one. Knowing that the strange man is so close to my window and thus, to me, scares me to no end. What if he is a rapist? Or even worse, a killer?

Before my paranoia gets worse, the sound stops and the only sensation I feel is relief. But this short break doesn't last long.

A laugh. A cruel and inhuman laugh fills my room. I feel like I am going to pass out from fear at any seconds. The laugh is so evil, and too loud to be outside. It's like it's made directly in my own room, or worse, in my head. When the sound becomes even louder, I put my hands on my ears trying to ignore it. I fall on the floor, placing my head between my knees, screaming in hopes to make the sound stops. And strangely as it is, the sound suddenly stops and I can breathe again.   

"It was nothing after all, just the man from the street or a teenager trying to scare me or something. Right? Calm down... Fear made you hear everything louder than it was, okay. Calm down." I am repeating that sentence over and over again to make me feel better. Even with that, I don't feel safe anymore. I'm on high alert and my body reacts like something or someone is going to attack me. I didn't think something like that could scare me that much. It was just a person looking randomly at my room, a knock on the window because that person was just a little crazy, and that made him laugh. Right? Everything is perfectly...sane and normal.

To try to forget that incident, I try to watch the tv once again, forgetting about my idea to eat. Of course, it is not working as I feel my knees and hands shaking. I am looking everywhere around my room as if a monster will kill me in a second. But I  need to focus on something else, or else my fear will have the best of me. When I change the channel in need of finding something entertaining, I get on the news instead. When I see the title of the report "new woman found dead in her house in Chicago" I immediately turn off the tv. No need to scare me more than I already am.

After one or two hours of boring tv shows, I finally go to the bathroom to prepare myself to sleep. I am still shaking a little because of the incident but I am feeling way better. Nothing has happened since two hours, so it might just have been a prank. A very scary prank, but a prank.

When I'm in my bed, I start to think about my day, knowing that I won't fall asleep soon. That's one of my habits : analyzing my day. I am sure you already know that I'm the kind of girl who thinks too much.

But hell, what a bad day I had.