7. Help from the police?

Emilie's pov

I am still terrified, even in the police station. Even though he can't get me in there, I know this is not over yet. With shaking legs, I take steps further until I am in front of a police officer near the entrance. She is a young woman, with red hair and dark brown eyes. She's beautiful and feminine, and even though her police uniform is too large for her, she still seems delicate. I am trying my best to smile a bit to her, as she might be my savior, but I failed. She looks worried when she meets my eyes and hear my rapid breathing. It is not difficult to see something is wring.

"Oh my.. What happened to you? Have you been attacked or something?" she asks all of a sudden, like she has seen a ghost. Suddenly my knees go numb, preventing me from replying. That's it. I'm going to pass out. I can see her running towards me when everything went black.

**********

I wake up in a small room, laying on a desk. My back hurts from the position I slept in. It seems that I slept for hours, my knees are sore and I have a big headache, but I guess that's the punishment for skipping P.E classes all my life. Or maybe that's one of the side effects of the pill I took earlier, normally used to stop my fears. Well it didn't really work.
But, I'm alive. That's all that matters.

A senior officer, probably in his 60s, enters the room, his gaze on me. "Oh, glad to see you're finally awake! Are you ok?"

I nod my head, not feeling so good. He seats on one of the chairs in front of the desk, giving me a sign to seat on the one in front of him. I do so before staring at him. He's obviously a police officer, and a ranked one. He seems so strict, with no kindness in his eyes. I actually want to ask if I can talk to the beautiful officer at the entrance but he suddenly starts again.

"So, I assume if you came here it's because you have something to report us." He tells me, opening one of the books and not even looking at me again. He seems bored - annoyed, even.

I agree, trying my best to speak as loud as I can. He just nods and tells me that I can take my time, that he has a lot of time left before his shift ends anyway. That doesn't reassure me thought.

I tell him everything. From the strange knocking on my window, to the evil laugh until the time I passed out in the entrance. I try to give as many details as possible about the events. How he stared at me with his eyes, how he was dressed. I do think that all the events are linked. It'd be really strange if everything that happened to me wasn't done from the same person. Some tears appeared during my speech, and I was shivering when I remembered the look on the man's face when I disobeyed him. I just escaped from a painful death, but I know it's not over.

The strict officer doesn't say anything during the whole speech. He just stares at me, then at his notebook, trying to understand everything. Maybe my choice of words weren't good enough, or maybe with the shock I haven't correctly pronounced the words with my strong accent, but something on his face shows me that he doesn't really listen to me. He is... strange. There is no sympathy on his face at all.

"Please, tell me how this man looked." I'm surprised by his question. I was expecting him to say something to reassure me, to help me. Not asking about the looks of my upcoming murderer.

"Yes sure." I reply hesitantly, "He...he has pure white skin, like a ghost." My body shakes in horror as I hear the man's laugh.

"Sorry, continue please" he rapidly says, avoiding my scared gaze. 

I have lost all my confidence right now, but I keep going. "He....he has...black, black eyes. Like...like he has no eyelids, like it was burnt."

He laughs once again, crushing my small confidence and hope with his reaction. He doesn't believe me. I should have guessed it. He looks at me and waves at me to continue, but I am already angry.

"He has a permanent smile cut on his cheeks." I finish, anger in my tone. This man won't help me, I will die. He laughs harder this time, still looking somewhere else, as if he looked at me he wouldn't be able to keep the small control he had.

Finally, after a long minute of silence, he stares at me with a grin. "Girl, no offense, but I think you watched Batman too many times. A permanent smile only exists in movies and comics, not in real life."

Taking too much, I stand up trying to get away from him as soon as possible. While standing up, something from my cardigan pocket falls on the floor. It's my medicine. I try to take it but the officer grabs it before me.

"Did you take one of these recently?" I nod, not knowing why he asks such a personal question. "You can easily have hallucinations with things like that. Go home immediately, I don't want to lose more time with you. Next time, you should not watch a movie after eating that thing. You're annoying everyone, you foreign girl."

And with that he angrily opens the door for me. I stare at him with a death glare. I storm out of the police station, not even saying goodbye to the beautiful officer at the entrance.

I'm angry, but more, I feel ashamed. He doesn't believe me. He thinks I'm crazy and sick on top of that. That's not a simple pill which can do that to me. I'm not crazy, I saw that man, I really ran in the streets to save my life. Are all police officers like him? Not caring and not believing the people in distress? I sure hope not.

Now out in the cold at night, the realization suddenly hits me like a ton of bricks. No one will help me. I'm alone.

With a monster on the loose, wanting to kill me.