43. Battle and Realization (2/2)

In a second, the five men start to walk to Jeff. He instantly gets into a battle position, and gets to the first one. I watch him closely, praying in my head for him to win. He can't lose, he promised me. He promised me.

I watch him avoiding the first punches of two men, but gasp in horror as I see him getting punched in the back by a third man. He falls on the ground, wiping the blood that escapes his mouth. Thankfully, the men stop when he is on the ground, giving him time to recover. During all this moment, I've stopped breathing. I can't look at that, but when I turned my head, Tony forced me to watch it.

Suddenly, Jeff starts to laugh so evilly that everyone stops moving in the shed. He laughs, laughs and laughs again until nothing else can be heard. Then, his eyes have darkened to a deep black color. He gets up, and smiles.

"Thanks, Gary. I haven't had an exciting fight for years!" With that, he runs to the first men and break his neck in a second, killing him instantly. I close my eyes, not wanting to see him in this state. I feel Tony and Gary tensing up next to me, and I smile. Guess they weren't expecting that. Jeff takes another hit from one of the fighter, but kicks him after that. He punches and kicks that man until we can hear bones cracking and flesh breaking. I gasp in horror as I see the three other men standing still in fear. When he's finally dead, Jeff turns his head around, smirking at the other three.

Gary suddenly pushes Tony off of me and takes his place behind me with the knife. He's stronger than Tony, and I feel him starting to strangle me. I scream Jeff's name and he finally looks in my direction. But I feel another pair of eyes on me, and I see Peter's one looking straight at me. He's finally awake, but his eyes seem empty, there's  no more emotion in them. He's broken like I thought he was. But, I can guess worry and fear when he looks at me struggling to escape Gary's grip.

"Jeff!" Gary screams, strangling me with the hand holding the knife on my neck. "If you keep fighting, I'll kill her, I swear I will!"

I see Jeff standing still, analyzing what to do. Of course he has to fight back! But I see he's thinking about it. If he kills the other two men and runs towards me, I'll already be cut. There is no solution, and I know it. I'm trapped, like the useless girl I've always been. I'm crying, shaking, shivering and fearing. That's all I can do. I can't fight, I've lost my knife, and I'll be the responsible of our deaths. Peter is still looking at me, and he's crying now. He's becoming himself again, but he can't move or speak.

Suddenly, Jeff is punched by behind by one of the three remaining men. I scream in horror, as I see Jeff no responding. He doesn't move, nor fight back.

Another punch. Another one.
And Jeff still does nothing. When he falls on the ground, he gets up to be punched again. I'm crying as I've never before. I try to move as much as I can, but Gary's grip is too strong for me.

"Move!" I scream to him, crying. "Fight back, Jeff!"
But all he's doing is looking at me. I know he's doing that for me, because of Gary's threat. But no! I don't want him to be hurt because of me!

Tony runs towards the battle scene and hurts him too. Now, the four of them are punching Jeff, in the face, in the back. Everywhere. He's bleeding, and he's already not standing still anymore.

During all this time, Jeff's eyes have been on me. He's staring at me in the most sweet and caring way, like I'm the most beautiful thing he has seen in his life. He has given up, he's going to die in some minutes because of me. To protect me.

But no! He shouldn't do that! He needs to fight, I know he can win! I need him, I need him!

Another punch, and Jeff falls on the floor again. But this time, he doesn't get up. So, they punch him again. Again and again, until he doesn't move anymore. I hear Gary laughing behind me, enjoying the scene while I'm crying and screaming Jeff's name.
Blood is everywhere on him: his face, his hair, his chest, his knees...Some of his parts are destroyed and I'm sure all his bones are broken by now.