38. The Fiance

Hi everyone!
As I'm late with this publication, I wrote a longer chapter than usual. Things are starting to move in the story now, and I have a lot of things left in mind. So please don't give up now ;)
Enjoy,
Xx

**************
Emilie's pov

After explaining my meeting with Jeff to Peter, I try my best to relax and think of something else. But of course, I can't.
Why am I doing to do now? How can I protect Peter and myself?
Now Jeff knows that I'm living with Peter. I hope he won't try to hurt him, I won't let him injure him or play with him like he did with me. Since our meeting, it has always been a game between us, a game of pride and of manipulation. He has never wanted to kill me but wanted to have the upper hand on me. Whereas I've always wanted to make him shut up and leave. But, if it comes to Peter's safety, I'm ready to give up and let him win. If it's for Peter, I'm okay with that.
But of course I will still fight.

"Emilie, something's out for you." Peter serious voice wakes me up from my thoughts. I know what that means, he only uses those words and intonation when a letter is in the front door for me. Jeff is really sick, letting a letter whereas he just came into my house minutes ago.

"What's the message?" I join him outside and see him with a box in his hands.

"I don't know, do you want me to open it for you?" He rubs my back and kisses my cheek in a reassuring way.

"No, I'll do it." I take the box from his hands, and a strange smell immediately get into my nostrils. I try to cover it with my hand on my nose, but it's still strong.
I carefully open the white box before throwing it to the ground.

A cat is inside.
Well...a dead cat.
There's the body and the head inside of it. Blood is feeling the box like a pool, and it seems to be a kitten by the side of the body.
I lay there in shock whereas Peter covers my eyes with his hands, but I can't forget this image. There's so much blood, so much cruelty in that box.

"Emilie, you should go home. I'll take care of it." Peter says while pushing me inside.

"No, no! I can't! The message... There's always a message in the letters and in the boxes. It has to be somewhere." I push him away and get to the box again. I regret it as I'm feeling nauseous. I run to the other side of my garden and throw up everything I have in me, before coming back to the box.
There has to be a message, like always.
Peter is already trying to find the message: next to the cat? No. Under the box? No. On top? Not ever.
Where is this message damn it?

During the entire time I try to avoid looking at the small body and head, in fear of being sick again.
I instantly change my mind when I realize that the message could be next to it. But no, there's still no message.
Then, I understand. I take the box in my hand and bring my hand closer to the blood and the corpse.
Peter seems to understand what I'm about to do when he stops me. I look at him, motioning him to let me do that. It's my responsibility, as it's my fault.

He lets me and I plunge my hand in the pool of blood. I feel nauseous and I think I'm going to throw up again, but I do my best to focus on my task.
But still, no message in the blood pool.
I'm about to give up when I feel something next to the corpse. I pull it a little but it won't go out. It's like it's inside the corpse.

I can't focus anymore and I throw up next to the box one more time. There was nothing to throw up so it hurts a lot. But I can't give up now, I take the body out of the box and onto the floor. There's a cut in the stomach of the kitten with the beginning of the message. I pull it out from the cut, taking out some more blood into the floor and onto my clothes.
I don't care if one my neighbor can see me right now, all I care about is the message. I need to know what's written so bad. It's clues about Jeff's intention, and I need to know everything.