35. Reunion

Emilie's pov

When Peter finally arrives, I'm still in front of the house, shaking and crying. I should be ashamed of my reaction: Peter would have wanted me strong, and not crying like a baby. But I can't help it. I can't help the memories of my past coming back: Jeff's insane laugh, Anders' bar, the murder of the man who tried to rape me, the cinema, the injury on my stomach, the manor...I don't want any of that to happen again.
Moreover, I am utterly scared. Jeff used to scare me before, but even if I don't know why, he had never wanted to end my life for good. Now that I've escaped him, I don't know what he's going to do to punish me. And I don't want to know.

"Darling, you got to get up." Peter says with his sweet voice, while putting me up and carrying me bridal style inside. I hug him tightly, resting my head onto his chest. I feel loved in his arms, wanted, and safe. He's all I need right now.
He carefully makes me sit on the sofa, next to him. I still have the letter and the photo in my hand, so he carefully takes them and pushes them away. Then, he wipes away all the tears on my face, and I pull him into a hug again. He hugs me back, and I can feel his hand shaking on my back. He's scared too. I feel terrible for making him scared, because all of this is my fault.

"I'm sorry." I tell him carefully.

"Sorry for what?" He asks me while going away from the hug, and looking at me deeply in the eyes.

"I....it's all my fault, all you're going through. You had to waste all your save money for me, and now you have to endure this. I-"

He cuts me off, looking angry. "Emilie, don't say that! You know I don't care about my money, I'd do anything for you. Don't feel sorry, I chose to be with you. I chose to live with you, to share your fears with you. And guess what? I'd still do it again and again. I love you, Emilie. I won't let him take you away or hurt you. I will save you. Trust me."

"Thanks, Peter." I reply, tears in my eyes.

"Now, you are going to stay here and rest. I'm going to call Anders, okay? He may have a solution. We'll sort everything out, so don't be scared. I'm not leaving your side. I'll always be here to protect you."

With that, he places little kisses on my lips and on my cheek. It was so simple, but it boosts my confidence.

I love Peter. I love him so much. He's the only one who can make me feel like that.
I know that I'm making the good choice by marrying him.

He gets up and heads to the kitchen to call Anders. I guess he wants me to rest while he's calling him. But no way I can do that, so I just wait patiently until he comes back. It wasn't so long before he does.

"So?" I ask him reluctantly, my hands still shaking.
Peter sighs and sits next to me on the sofa, placing his hands on my shoulders in a comforting way.

"He said...he said it can't be him."

"What?!" I get up angrily, letting my anger and fear take control. "Of course it's him! Who else could it be?!"

"Emilie, calm down." Peter takes my chin in his hands to make me look at him. "Anders saw Jeff this morning. Even if Jeff isn't at the manor now, he said it couldn't be him. He couldn't have traveled so fast."

"But....Who? He could have...hired someone or...I don't know." I said, falling on the sofa in defeat.

"He said he's going to look after him, because sometimes he disappears for days. Plus, he couldn't have found you. He'll call me back when he'll have news. He says there's no need to move again." Peter tells me in a reassuring way.

He then hugs me tighter and places kissed on my neck. I know he's trying to relax me, but how can I stay calm? It's him, it's him I'm sure of that. Only him can scare me like that. And the words, "I'M COMING FOR YOU." It can be him, only. He must have hired someone.