Prologue

"I can't believe it, Mukund! How could you? I thought we were on the same team!" She exclaimed dramatically as Mukund and she jumped off the field with DJ not far behind.

"Oh c'mon, Ara! It's just a simple game of tag. Stop being so over dramatic." He sighed.

"We used to be best mates. We used to be partners in crime! But, today you decided to ditch me and side with DJ and-"

"Ara.." Mukund cut her sentence off in frustration. She waved him off, ignoring his comment.

"...today.." Aradhana continued.

"Ara!" DJ yelled. Her tantrum got on DJ's nerve. Sometimes he'd wondered what had he done wrong to have an overly dramatic sister like Ara.

"Shut up, DJ! I am talking!" His sister gave him a death glare.

"No! You shut up." He snapped. She flinched at his voice. He gave her a hard look. Ara watched him in horror as both him and Mukund cracked up in fits of laughter. Her anger boiled up. She couldn't believe them. How could they?! She stood watching both of them. Without knowing, her fists curled up into a ball as her eyes fired up with rage.

"That wasn't funny." She said firmly once both the brothers sobered up from their laughter.

"Oh c'mon now, baby sis. It was just for fun. Now, don't be grumpy. Where's that lovely smile of yours? I've seen your smile! There you go. You can smile." Mukund ruffled Ara's hair. She swatted his hand away and huffed. She didn't like how Mukund did it all the freaking time.

"You don't touch my beautiful hair." She playfully pushed him and ran away. The two brothers looked at each other and ran after their sister. Mr. and Mrs. Kochher laughed at their teenage kids as they chase each other around the open field.

"I think it's time to go, hon." Mr. Kochher told his wife glancing into his phone.

"Oh shush, Deepak! The kids are having fun. Let them. When was the last time you saw them this happy and at peace?" Mrs. Kochher looked at her husband with a soft smile. Her husband couldn't say no. He was always mesmerised by the effect his wife's soft voice had on him. "Plus, when was the last time we enjoyed sitting on the grass watching the sky as the evening light turned on? Just sit back and enjoy." His wife continued. She tucked on his hand as she to pull him close to her They both lied down and watched the sky change colour.

*-*-*-*

The ride home was full of laughter and energy. The kids rambled about their experiences. They teased eachother about the awkward and weird situations. The parents just laughed along listening to their kids' rants and complaints. It truly had a long time since they had a nice family time.

"So Mukund, you going off this weekend to UCLA. You excited?" Mr. Kochher asked from the driver's seat. Mukund's face lit up as everybody turned their attention to him. Ara felt a pinch of sadness. She was so attached to Mukund that she didn't want him to leave. There were just so many memories with him. He was literally her favourite. Maybe because he was the closest to her age than DJ. Mukund was 18, she was 17 and DJ was 14.

"I can't wait to go there, dad. I'll miss you guys a lot." Mukund said with all honesty. Ara shifted uncomfortably on her seat. DJ sensed it instantly. He reached out for her hand and held on to it. She looked at him surprised. He gave her reassuring smile. She reverted it back.

"I am proud of you, son." His dad said with a smile. He truly was proud of his son. Mukund had been through a lot to get admitted to a college his choice. With endless SAT tuition and re-doing the college essay multiple times.

"Aww...my baby is going to the university. He's gonna be a big boy. It seems like yesterday I held you in my arms and cradled you back and forth..." Mrs. Kochher trailed off wiping her so-called invisible tears. Mrs. Kochher had always been the carefree and bubbly lady of the house. She was the one who lifted the mood up for the family. Even in the most emotional and difficult situations, she was in-control. That quality came from the house she came from- a sheltered and loveable home.

"Seriously, mom. You're saying it as tho I am not coming back home again." Mukund joked. The car was once again filled with laughter. The only person who didn't find the whole situation funny was Ara. She hated change. She hated distance from her brother- the only person she trusted. She hated it. She didn't want him to leave. But, he had to and she knew it. She had to let go.

*-**-**-**-*

Hello beautiful humans of Wattpad! Thanks for reading the first chapter of the book. I am sorry if this chapter wasn't a good read but, I promise to write better chapters as we move on. I have no clue what else to say in this particular note. Yeah, I am not good with these types of author's notes so please bare with my boring notes. Lol!

Anyway, do like and comment feedbacks! I consider all kinds of comments!

Thanks and love ya xx