Chapter 6- The Suspension

Rose-

Warm breath tickled my ear when I awoke the next morning. For a moment, I wondered where I was, but a smile grew across my face as I quickly remembered. Clark's incredibly heavy arm was draped across my waist as he held me firmly in place against his strong chest. I had never felt more safe in my life then I did in that moment.

Soft snores drifted out of the sleeping super man when suddenly my phone started going off. I winced slightly as his grip tightened around my middle. I tried to escape, but much like back in his ship he was just too strong. A smirk tugged at his lips as he rolled over onto his back, taking me along with him as he went.

"Stop it," I laughed as I playfully smacked him in the arm. "I have to answer that, you know."

Releasing me from his grasp, I stretched across him to grab my phone. As the name of the devil himself flash across the screen, I groaned before answering.

"Hello?" Sitting up in the bed, I clutched the sheet closer to my body as though he might be able to see I was indecent.

There was no exchanging of pleasantries as Perry White began his rant. "I told Lois not to run with this, and what do you do? You let her waltz over to Woodburn and let him shotgun this all over the internet. Now, the publishers want me to sue the two of you," Perry explained.

"Wait a minute. Wait a minute--" I began. "I didn't let her do anything," I said. "If my memory serves me correctly, I was laid up in a hospital bed in a freaking coma!"

"You still went along with her to track down those leads, didn't you?" It was more of an accusation than an actual question.

"Well, yeah but--"

"And now she says you guys are dropping it, just like that?"

"Um, yeah," I replied. "Our leads just didn't pan out. The story was smoke."

"Or maybe it just didn't get the attraction you hoped it would," he said. "You know what I think? I think you guys saw something. And I think you both made up this B.S. that your leads went cold," he told me. "But whatever your reasons are for dropping it, I think you're doing the right thing."

"What? Why?" I asked. My mouth had dropped open enough to make a better fly catcher than that Venus plant.

"Can you imagine how people on this planet would react, if they knew there was someone like this out there?" he asked.

I looked over at Clark and knew he had heard. His face completely dejected as Perry's words only further confirmed his dad's paranoia. But Perry was only one man and personally, I thought the planet could use someone like Clark.

"I'm giving you and Lois three weeks leave, no pay," Perry said, bringing me out of my thoughts.

"Oh c'mon Perry!" I begged. "That's not fair!"

"I think its very fair," he countered. "You can consider this your penance. And if you ever try something like this again, you won't just be suspended."

"Yes, sir," I replied, hanging my head in defeat.

I hit the end call button and looked over at Clark. He was still laying in the bed with his hands behind his head.

"What am I going to do for three weeks?" I groaned as I flung myself back down next to him. "Suspended-- and without pay!"

Rolling over onto his side, Clark looked down at me. I was pretty sure I would never tire of looking at this gorgeous man. Stretching my hand out, I couldn't resist the urge to run my hand threw his soft curls.