Chapter 9- The Staredown

Rose-

"We hardly know anything about him, isn't that right?"

The TV in my tiny apartment blared as I finished blow drying my hair.

"If he truly means us no harm, then he'll turn himself into his people and face the consequences."

"And clearly your an idiot," I snickered as I rolled my eyes at the television. I really did hate that Woodburn guy.

"The Daily Planet's Lois Lane knows him- and her photographer, Rose Montgomery has actually had a more personal encounter with the guy. I think she's the one we should be questioning."

My jaw literally dropped as I listened and the hair dryer slipped from my hands. I couldn't believe what I was hearing!

"That worming little maggot!" I seethed as I gripped the counter to my bathroom sink. I was about to let out a whole string of other choice words for the man, but I was suddenly interrupted by my cell phone going off.

"Hello?"

"Are you watching this crap?" Perry said to me. "It's been running all morning and for once I actually agree with Woodburn."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"I mean, have you seen him?" Perry asked. "Do you know where he is?"

I knew I'd hesitated for a moment too long.

"No. And even if I did, I wouldn't say."

"The entire world is being threatened here, Rose. This is not the time to be playing games."

"Games?" I frowned. "Who's playing games?"

Suddenly it occurred to me that maybe I should look out the window and sure enough several black SUVs had pulled up outside my building.

"This is serious, Rose," Perry scolded. "The FBI is here and they're throwing around words like treason."

I was still looking out the window when I saw a bunch of FBI officials storm into my building.

"Oh shit," I mumbled forgetting for a moment that I was still on the phone. "Perry, I gotta go."

I ended the call, grabbed my keys and quickly slung my messenger bag over my shoulders before heading out the door. As I ran down the back stair case, I could here a bunch of footsteps coming up the front. I sighed in relief when I ran out of the apartment and slowed my pace when I turned down an alley.

All of a sudden, a dark SUV appeared in front of me. I turned to run the other way but a few agents along with Colonel Hardy jumped out and stopped me.

"Hands up!" Someone yelled at me. "FBI! Drop the bag, now."

I let the bag fall off my shoulder before throwing my hands up in surrender. They might be able to take me into custody but I vowed they would never get a word out of me.

***

"Your boyfriend's here," Colonel Hardy snickered as he walked into the cold, sterile room where they'd been holding me.

They had taken me into custody hours ago and as I sat handcuffed to the table, I'd wondered why they'd even bothered at all since not a single word had been spoken to me. But now it all made complete sense. They were just using me to get to Clark.

"Oh yeah?" I said raising my eyebrows at the Colonel. "Well, you better hope he doesn't kick your ass when he finds out you put me in handcuffs," I shot back.

"Then I guess it's lucky for me I'm here to remove those," he said pointing towards my restraints with a smirk. "Apparently your alien lover boy will only talk to you."