Chapter 7- The Screams

Rose-

Darkness surrounded me.

And it didn't matter how fast I ran forwards or back. No matter what I did, I couldn't find the light. I heard his foot steps before I saw him. I tried getting away.

He was always right there-- around me. Beside me. Behind me.

Suddenly I saw his eyes. They were crazed and encompassed in black. I never took my eyes off of him, but somehow he appeared before me, whispering my name.

"Wanna know how I got these scars?"

I fell to the ground, scrambling to get away as he let out a hideous roar of laughter. The white on his face was in stark contrast to the darkness all around us and I could just barely make out the greenish tint to his hair.

"My father was a drinker," he said as he stalked towards me. "And one night, he goes off crazier than usual."

I covered my head with my hands, I knew where this is about to go. "No, no, no!" I screamed. "You can't hurt me-- this is all just a dream," I muttered.

Suddenly my parents appeared, just like they always did. My mom was in his arms and my dad was tied down to a chair. We were forced to watch as the clown continued with his story.

"Mommy gets the kitchen knife, but my father doesn't like that. Not. One. Bit. So with me watching, he takes the knife to her, laughing while he does it. Kinda like this."

The crazed man laughed like a hyena before pressing the knife against my mother's face.

"Stop it!" I screamed over and over. I rocked back and forth as I covered my ears. I squeezed my eyes shut but I could still hear and see everything.

"WHY SO SERIOUS?"

He stuck the blade in my mother's mouth."Let's put a smile on that face."

"Rose!"

I bolted upright in the bed and my ears were met with a horrific scream. At first I thought it was the memory of my mother's cries but I soon realized the voice as my own.

"Rose!" His deep voice called me again and it was then that I noticed my arms were trapped in Clark's grasp.

I clamped my mouth shut, abruptly stopping the screaming but I wasn't able to control the flood of tears cascading down my cheeks. As a shiver ran up my spine, goosebumps broke out across my skin-- my entire body was drenched with sweat.

Clark's hand grasped the back of my head as he dragged my face up to meet his gaze.

"You're okay now, I'm here," he said as he pulled me into his arms. "Nothing will ever hurt you again."

Clark slowly drew comforting circles along my back as he cradled me in his strong arms. I continued to sway back and forth as huge sobs rocked my entire body. I wanted to believe him, but I didn't know if I could.

Gently, he laid us back down in the bed, never once letting go of me. Eventually sleep overtook me, but even in Clark's arms, it was anything but peaceful.

***
I woke up that next morning, much the same way I had for the past two weeks. The delicious smell of bacon and eggs wafted into my bedroom but this time I found my limbs tangled in the sheets next to Clark's ginormous sleeping form.

Sitting up, I felt haggard and my eyes litterally burned from the lack of sleep. As I watched Clark's chest rise and fall, I instantly became jealous of his peaceful slumber. A small smirk crept up my face and I suddenly found myself lunging towards his chest.