Chapter 10- The Scramble

Rose-

"The atmospheric composition in our ship is not compatible with humans," Faora said as she placed some kind of contraption across my shoulders. "You will need to wear a breather beyond this point."

With a snap-hiss, a clear film was shot up and over my head as fresh oxygen was pumped into the bubble around me.

I must have looked terrified when the Kryptonian woman placed the helmet on me, because suddenly Clark grabbed hold of my hand. He gave my fist a slight squeeze and I was reminded of the black oblong key he had placed in my hand just seconds ago.

"You shouldn't have to do this," he whispered grabbing hold of my hand.

"It's ok," I whispered back. "See? I told you I wouldn't leave you," I teased.

Tugging me forward, he quickly pulled me into his arms. His lips pressed a chaste kiss to my forehead as he discreetly slipped something into my hand.

"I love you," he whispered into my ear.

"I love you too-"

I had been silently following behind him, when Clark's voice brought me out of my thoughts. "I take it you're Zod?" he asked as a tall man dressed in the same armor as Faora stood before us.

"General Zod, our Commander!" Faora corrected, putting much emphasis on the word General.

"It's alright, Faora-Ul," Zod dismissed her. "You can forgive Kal any lapses in decorum. He's a stranger to our ways," Zod explained. "Besides, this should be a cause for celebration, not conflict."

As Zod spoke, Clark placed an unsteady hand on my shoulder and immediately I could tell something was wrong.

"I- feel strange," he muttered. "Weak."'

Suddenly he fell to his hands and knees. Concern laced his features as he looked up at me, struggling to breathe and keep himself off the ground.

"What's happening to him?" I asked.

"He's rejecting our ships atmospherics," Zod replied.

"Clark?"

I whispered his name, but he was unable to reply because he started coughing up blood.

"Rose-" Clark groaned my name and I dropped to my knees beside him. I placed a hand on his back but he was still spewing blood.

"Help him! Please!" I screamed at Zod. "You have to do something," I cried but the General and his men just stood there.

"I can't," the General explained. "Whatever's happening to him has to run its course."

"Bull shit!" I narrowed my eyes.

I looked back down at Clark and visibly panicked. He had always been the epitome of power and strength- invincible even, and I'd come to believe that he could get us out of any situation. But now as he cried out in pain, rolling around on the ground in agony, I wasn't so sure.

Clark let out another piercing scream before mumbling my name again. As his body began to shudder he tried to make eye contact with me but fell completely to the ground and passed out.

"Help him!" I screamed again. But instead of doing that, two Kryptonian guards grabbed me from behind and began dragging me away from him.

"No, no, no!" I screamed as I struggled to break away. I called out to Clark, hoping he would wake up, but he remained motionless on the floor. In a final attempt at freedom, I kicked my legs as I tried to wiggle free but it was no use.