Chapter 14- The Reflection

Rose-

One Day Later...

Do you remember the ending to the third Star Wars movie? Not the part where Anakin finally emerges as Darth Vader, but before that. Right after he has fully turned to the dark side and accused Padme of turning against him- the young mother was so heart broken, she actually lost the will to live. She gave birth, named the babies, and then tragically passed away.

Well, that's how I feel. Utterly and devastatingly heart broken. So much so, in fact, that I don't even see the point of going on. No one would miss me. No one would even know I was gone. Just the thought of that, drowning in my own emptiness and despair, reminds me of how truly alone I am.

Stretching out a hand, I swiped at the vase sitting on the hospital tray next to me.

"That son of a bitch!" I screamed, as the glass shattered against the floor.

My head fell back against the pillows as a flood of tears threatened to spill for the millionth time. How could Clark leave me now, when I needed him the most? How dare he die before me! Didn't he know we were supposed to go like Noah and Allie? Our love was supposed to create miracles. Our love was supposed to be able to do anything we wanted it to.

At the sound of my name, my head suddenly turned towards one of the large windows in my room. The blinds were closed, but I could still hear Bruce talking to the doctor that had been assigned to me. I was sure, that eventually even he would leave me.

"Physically, Miss Montgomery is fine," the Doctor said. "She's a healthy, strong, young woman and the pregnancy seems to be progressing beautifully."

"But--" Bruce's voice was skeptical as he challenged the other man. He knew a contradiction a mile a way when he heard one.

"But--," the Doctor seemed hesitant, "Mentally, she seems to be shutting down. She won't speak. She won't eat and Miss Montgomery has violent outbursts," he explained. "In my professional opinion, I think she would greatly benefit for a few months under observation at Arkham-"

"Absolutely not."

The corners of my mouth twitched slightly at Bruce's objections. Maybe he hadn't given up hope on me just yet-

"Even if it's the best option right now?"

"Trust me," Bruce growled, his voice a deathly low. "Arkham is definitely not the best option for her."

***
Three Days Later...

Bruce huffed as he set the plate of poached eggs and toast back down on the kitchen counter.

"She refused to eat again?" Martha asked as she frowned down at the plate- Bruce silently nodded in response.

"Well, she didn't throw them at you today," Alfred remarked with a slight smile. "So I'd say that's some progress."

Martha eyed the eggs before turning to look up the stairs towards her son's room. "Would you mind if I gave it a try?" she said as she glanced back at the two men.

"Not at all. By all means, be my guest." Bruce couldn't quite keep the irritation from oozing out of his voice as he handed her the plate. "But if you come back down here with egg on your face, don't say I didn't warn you."

Martha headed up the stairs but not before instructing Alfred to look after the guests. "And if the Reverend comes looking for me," she added, "tell him I'll be down in a minute."

There was a soft knock on the door before Martha entered.

"Rose?" she gently called as she walked in to Clark's room where I had been hibernating. "I brought you something to eat."