Friends and Flashbacks

I walk into Sugarplum's, and at least ten aromas hit me at the same time. Some of them were pleasant, while some smelled like rotten eggs and skunk spray. The good smells overpowered the bad ones, so I was excited to try as much candy as I could hold, especially since my parents were not here to prevent me from getting as much as I wanted.

I was standing in front of the Caramel Cobwebs, deciding whether to get one or two, when I heard a high voice start talking rapidly in my ear.

"Excuse me, but you've been standing in front of the Candyfloss for at least five minutes now, and my mother loves those, so could you please step aside for a moment?" A girl with thick black hair said without a pause. Her hair was long with curly ringlets, almost down to her waist.

I was staring at her incredulously, a bit shocked, but I did manage to step aside. She got some of her Candyfloss and I fully expected her to walk away, not to be seen again until we ran into each other at Hogwarts. But this girl was surprising in every aspect.

"Hey, I have another hour, why don't we go to Florean's and get some ice cream and talk for a bit? I really don't know anyone at Hogwarts yet. You are going to Hogwarts, right? Why don't we talk? I can make my first school friend!" She only stopped talking to squeal. "My name is Sloane by the way." She stops talking to smile at me.

"I'm Remilynn," I said, not sure if I wanted to be called Remy for another whole seven years. I wasn't particularly fond of the name, but it made my parents happy, because I was named after my grandfather.

I did have another half hour. If she was dangerous then she wouldn't dare attack me in front of so many witnesses, right? And with that, I followed the girl with the black hair all over Diagon Alley.
***
After we had finished picking out our candy at Sugarplum's, we ended up at Florean's. A lot can be found about a person from their preference in ice cream flavor. I had caramel swirl in a waffle cone with cookie dough pieces on top, while Sydney had peppermint with rainbow sprinkles and butterscotch chips.

"Your name is so pretty," she said while eating her ice cream.

"Remilynn Arasia Lupin... Three uncommon names," I said with a small smile. There are both perks and downfalls to having a unique name.

Suddenly, I remembered a memory from long ago.

Eight years ago
"Come on, Remy, we don't usually make you go to these parties, but it's Luke's fifth birthday," my father said wearily.

I agreed to go after they promised me ice cream afterwards.

We arrived at the house that was painted with peeling blue paint, and stood for a moment, hesitant whether I wanted to go in or not.

My parents dragged me inside, showing me off like a prized show dog.

They finally set me down while they had some "grown up talk." That was fine by me. I would rather sit alone than be stared at. I supposed that I inherited that trait from my father.

I was trying to sink into a corner and not be seen when a girl about my age came up to me. She had dark, black hair pulled up in a ponytail, her dark curls reaching the small of her back. She had brilliant blue eyes that were so light they were almost white. They were transfixing, darker around the edges leading to the whitish part in the middle. They were very distracting.

"Hello," I said quietly.

She smiles and hands me a balloon out of the large bunch that she's holding. It is blue and in the shape of a star.

"Zank you," I say, because my mom had drilled it into my head to always say thank you when someone gives you something.

She nodded and walked away. She was very quiet, even for a three year old. Her hair was so beautiful. All of a sudden, my hair turned currant black, and as I changed my hair back to it's normal color, I hoped that the girl didn't see me and think I was copying her.

As I surfaced back into the present, an unusually large pair of light blue eyes stared curiously into mine.

"Lupin, did you say?" Sloane asked in an inquisitive tone.

"Yeah, I think that we've met bevore. Your last name is Potter, isn't it?" I had often heard my parents refer to "Sly," James Potter's daughter who was starting her first year at Hogwarts, but I never thought that I would run into her.

"Yeah, it is," she replied. "We've definitely met before."

I had always insisted on not going to birthday parties and my parents never made me. I usually just stayed at home with whatever assorted family member was free, while my parents went. But sometimes they dragged me along, and that's the only time I ever met the Potters.

I checked my watch.

"Okay, I had better go. My parents only gave me an hour. Will you come with me? My parents will be thrilled to see you," I said to Sloane, who was apparently my first Hogwarts friend.

She agreed because she had another half hour, and with that, we set off, talking the whole way until we reached Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes.

///🌈
What do you all think of Sloane?
Please don't forget to vote and comment, it is very much appreciated!