First Day Jitters

"So what do you think?" Sloane asks me at the breakfast table. She straightens the two inter crossing pencils that she had stuck through her bun. "Does it make me look like 'chic nerd' or does it make me look like I'm trying too hard?"

"Sloane. It doesn't matter." I replied.

"Yes it does. First impressions can be made in a tenth of a second, and they last for years." She replied, looking at a small, compact mirror that she had brought in her bag.

Sloane may have seemed a bit ditzy at times in the past, but I found that she loves reading, especially facts and statistics along with fiction. She is a Ravenclaw at heart.

All of a sudden, I gasp. Hundreds of owls fly in, dropping off packages all over the room. I wasn't expecting a package, but Pixie swoops down with a package. I open it and find some chocolate frogs and a note from my parents.

Remy,
You may find this letter embarrassing, but we miss you too much to care. We were going to use the excuse of sending you things that you had forgotten, but you are too organized to forget anything!
We hope that your first day is good, and we wanted to say that we miss you.
-Dad and Mom
P.S. Say hi to Neville, Professor Longbottom to you, for us!

Most other people would have been embarrassed at this, but I smiled to myself. I missed my parents too. I had never been away from them for more than a week. I felt a surge of love towards my parents who had always been there for me. I loved them, but I was having a lot of fun without them.

Sloane interrupted my thoughts. "We should probably get going," she said as students filed out of the Great Hall. Our first class was Charms, so we walked in that direction

***

"Hello, my name is Professor Caverly, and I am your head of house. As we are all Ravenclaws, we will be spending some time together, so can we do some quick introductions?" A witch with strawberry blonde hair says. She has rather large, dark eyes with bags under them. Her heart shaped face is complimented by the bun on the top of her head.

We go around the room. I know all of the girls because of last night, but I don't know any of the boys yet.

Amber goes first. She seems like she is bubbly every day, not just on the first day of school. "My name is Amber McKinsley. No nicknames."

Blaire went next, but then a boy with lots of freckles from his nose to his cheekbones introduced himself. His thin face compliments his chocolate brown eyes that are covered by thick lashes. "My name is Peter Goldstein. I don't have any nicknames." He brushes his curly brown hair out of his eyes, and looks at the ground shyly. His hair is longer on the top and shorter on the sides, an interesting haircut.

The next boy who goes after Peter has dirty blonde hair cropped close to his head. "My name is Noah Thaynak." The boy says slowly in a hoarse voice. He has a large, stocky figure that doesn't seem to suit his quiet demeanor. He has gray eyes that seemed blank, as if he wasn't really paying attention.

Sloane went next, and then it was my turn. "My name is Remilynn Lupin, but you can call me Ray."

Three more boys went after that: Jonathan Gasert, a tall boy with dark red hair and smoldering black eyes; Benjamin Pince, who had a plump face with noticeable dimples and light green eyes beneath his light blond hair; and Mark Sage, a boy with black hair and sharp features, his dark blue eyes covered by black, heavy framed eyeglasses.

After that, we head off to our next class, Herbology. It's our first class that we share with another house, so I'm still nervous.

We get to the greenhouses and the Slytherins are already there. I see the boy that I accidentally ran into at Wealsey's Wizarding Wheezes, and I feel automatic hatred.

Then, Professor Longbottom started talking. "You children may find that today, most teachers are taking the day to go over rules and introduce themselves. I find that as a waste of time. Let's go into Greenhouse One."

We walked in and I was in awe. So many plants gave me a sense of home and warmth. It was probably because it was more humid in here than outside, but not enough to be uncomfortable.

"I am Professor Longbottom, and today we will be pruning and skinning shrivelfig. Does anybody know why shrivelfig leaves are important?"

Blaire raises her hand. "Shrivelfig leaves have healing properties, especially when used in potions."

"Good. Ten points to Ravenclaw. does anyone know some potions that the shrivelfig is in?"

Mark raised his hand and then said in his coarse voice, "Sleeping Solution and The Elixir to Induce Euphoria." His glasses kept fogging up, so he kept taking them off and wiping them on his shirt. He eventually decided that it would be better to just take them off.

Professor Longbottom herded us all to the back of the greenhouse, where the shrivelfigs are located. He gives us a walking your of different types of plants (That's a Venomous Tentacula, stay far away from there, we'll be dealing with those in the third year).

Because Mark had taken off his glasses, he tripped and fell in front of everyone. I heard a distinct snap that signified a pair of broken glasses in his pocket.

I heard an obvious snicker from behind me. The Slytherin boy with platinum blonde hair says, "Enjoy your trip, nerd."

I couldn't watch this. "Excuse me? Vat do you think that you're doing?"

He turned to look at me. "Oh, it's just you. If you were smart, you would keep yourself away from this."

"Well, maybe if you didn't start it, I wouldn't have to stop you." I retort quickly.

He looked murderous. The boy who I remembered from the Sorting ceremony as Theodore Nott whispered loudly enough for me to hear, "Malfoy. You can't hit a girl."

Malfoy nearly spot back, "Watch me." His fists were clenched, but I was ready. This wasn't just an attack on my house, but on me and my friends.

At that point, Professor Longbottom seems to become aware of the situation. He stands in the middle since a fight hadn't started yet. "No fighting, five points from Slytherin and Ravenclaw."

I couldn't care less about five points. We had earned twenty today. What I did want was to show Malfoy that he couldn't walk all over us and that we would stand up for ourselves, but maybe fighting wasn't the way to do that. If figure out a different way.

Mark had stood up, but he was still holding his broken glasses. I walked over. "Here, can I see those?" I asked him. He looked at me sheepishly and then handed them over.

"Reparo," I said. Then I had a thought. "I've never actually tried this spell before," I told Mark, "But don't worry, it will work. Impervius. That should keep the water droplets off of your glasses."

He thanked me hurriedly and then races off, his face burning red. He was probably embarrassed that I had stood up for him when none of his friends did. Maybe I had just beat them to it.

We continue to the back of the greenhouse, and then as we're pruning shrivelfigs, I see a white chip with the Hogwarts crest, in the soil of a large plant with teeth, the one Professor Longbottom had called the Venomous Tentacula.

///🌈
How do you guys think Ray is going to get the chip? Comment your thoughts.

I want to say thank you to my readers! I'm overwhelmed by all of the positive feedback this story is getting! Thank you all for voting and commenting! I appreciate your feedback and constructive criticism!