Chapter One: The New Neighbor

Jihye's POV ~

I'm a college student in my first year. Because my parents work overseas I've lived on my own for about two years. I lived with grandma for the first year but because of her passing I moved into this apartment. It's the best place anyone could ask for. Nice neighbors. Friendly landlord. Great neighborhood. And the best part is the rent. I'm the luckiest teen to have such a low rent. Because it's so low I've already paid up for five months with cash still on the side. But that's about to change.

On my way home from school I saw the stray dog I've been taking care of. I would bring him inside but our landlord doesn't allow dogs. But she lets me keep him outside. She even pets and feeds him at times.

"Hi doggie." He ran up to me wagging his tail. Small, fluffy, and cute as a button, who wouldn't love him.

My landlord Ms. Lee came out the front door holding a bag. She looked nervous and sad as she came my way.

"Is everything okay, Ms. Lee?" I asked.

"I lost it. I lost the building." She started to cry.

I grabbed her shoulders helping her not fall to the ground.

"What do you mean you lost the building Ms. Lee?"

"My son got fired last month from his job of five years. I said I would help him until he got another job but I didn't think it would be so much. I couldn't afford to keep the apartment. I'm so sorry Ji-hye. I'm so sorry. I don't know what's going to happen to you guys. It was really hard. You and the others are like family-" her cries were getting worse. I'm so scared for myself, but at the moment I have a little old lady in front of me me crying.

"Ms. Lee. Please take care of your son. We will be okay." I gave her a smile to let her know it was alright. But inside I'm panicking. Who bought this building and what will happen to us?

The next day was Friday and on my way home I saw two fancy black cars. Two men were standing outside my apartment and as I walked closer one came near.

"Are you a attendant of this complex?" He asked. He was so big and scary.

"I live here." I said.

"Name?" He looked down to a clipboard.

"Ji-hye."

"Ji-hye. You may go inside." He said. I quickly walked inside to hear yelling and cries. Looking around I saw all my neighbors in the lobby. A young man in his early twenties was talking.

"My name is Joo-won and I'm the new owner of this building. This place will turn into the biggest club in all of Seoul. Whatever deal you had with Ms. Lee has no affect on me. This complex will no longer be a complex starting tomorrow." His smile was just a little to evil.

"You can't do this!"

"What kind of human does this!"

"What about my money! I'm already paid up for the year!"

People screamed at him, but all he could do was let out a small laugh.

"Ms. Lee sold this building to me for her son to work at my office. This hate towards me isn't right. The one you should hate is her." He said.

Those words are what set me off.

"You shut up!" I yelled. Everyone including him looked at me. I looked dead in his eyes as I walked closer to him.

"Ms. Lee was the best landlord ever! She was the kindest person I've ever met and I will not stand by as you talk about her. Yeah she sold the building. But she has a good reason. Don't talk crap about someone who is better than you!" I somewhat snapped.