Chapter 13: Bulletproof

Morning came after, and it was just as unpleasant as the mornings that came before that. Lauren Jauregui woke up with a throbbing head, a positive sign of a terrible hangover. She put a hand to massage her temple as she helped herself sit up on the bed then rubbed her eyes open to begin the new day. As always, her bright green eyes met with the pale and short woman first thing in the morning.

"Good morning," the bodyguard greeted in such monotonous voice, but her boss knew she was trying hard enough to make it as enthusiastic as possible as they had agreed upon on her first day on duty.

Camila waited for a comment - an annoying remark to be exact - from her Polynesian partner in crime through the hidden earpiece, but nothing came. Dinah had clearly drifted back to sleep to nurse her own hangover as she had warned the moment she gained consciousness. Normani Kordei was probably on the same shoe. This is definitely the picture of the Great Morning After - the aftermath of a night of good times.

"Good morning," Lauren greeted back in a fatigued voice, a small smile plastered on her lips. It was a rather unusual sight since they came back from Miami. But then, on this day, she swore that there should be no more room for a brokenhearted. Perhaps, only a secret lovesick fool instead as she looked into those dark brown orbs longingly.

"Here," the brunette walked over to the bedside table to offer Advil along with a glass of water she had prepared herself especially for her boss. "It's for your headache."

"Thanks."

Lauren immediately took the medicine with Camila's concerned assistance. Before long, the young heiress found herself quietly staring at the same pale and short woman once again - studying her magnificent facial features, those facial features she would gladly trace with her fingertips any time of the day. It's funny how all this time Camila Cabregui had remained to be an unresolved mystery to her. How can someone be familiar and unfamiliar simultaneously? And these things that she would do for Lauren; how can such destroyer be her safe haven all at the same time?

"Something wrong?" Camila asked innocently, because she really had no idea why, when the pair of bright green eyes was staring too long than necessary.

Something wrong? Lauren could have easily nodded her head in assertion. Yes, something was definitely wrong, and it was the fact that the daunting beast was acting all too insensible and oblivious of Lauren's feelings. Had she forgotten about the kiss? Was she really that insensitive that she could just act like she didn't plant a sweet and gentle and romantic kiss on her lips only a few hours ago? Well, Lauren couldn't blame Camila. After all, the brunette did say 'nothing' and maybe that was all there really was. Nothing. So instead, the young heiress shook her head in response.

"Nothing," she furthermore answered. Perhaps, Camila wasn't the only one who was keen to lie about things with its aid.

Camila rose from the bed to go open the balcony door inviting the fresh air and some sunlight into the room.

"You're not a good liar. I thought I should let you know."

Lauren got out of the bed and proceeded to help the bodyguard tie up the curtains to let more amount of sunlight in because the atmosphere in the room was starting to be rather suffocating.

"So you think I'm lying," she supposed as a matter of fact. "Why would you think that? Tell me, is there something wrong that I should have answered you otherwise?"

Camila sighed. There she was - Lauren was giving herself away. If she wanted to lie, at least she shouldn't be talking in such a way that she was never accustomed to.