Chapter 23: Loners

• • •

After weeks and weeks of hiding from the cruelty of the real world, Camila and Lauren had finally seized the opportunity of playing house – a sort of modern and adult version when it involved a lot of heated make-out sessions. And by 'alone time', it also meant getting rid of the stupid arm sling already (Dr. Sinuhe Cabello, not M.D. thought it was time to let it go based on her own make-believe medical philosophy) allowing Lauren to playfully trace the surprisingly sexy little scars with the daintiness of her fingertips. So with all that in mind, Camila didn't even have to wait for her mother's celebrated line – "Don't do anything I wouldn't do" – she simply slammed the door shut and sighed happily from the other side.

Apparently, 'alone time with Lauren' opened the windows to spending an awfully lot of time with eggs - lots and lots of eggs – when the young heiress just couldn't drop the fact that she messed up with the classic breakfast dish known as the omelet. She just couldn't do it right. Sure, making-out was a lot better, but how could Camila passed up the sight of her girlfriend absorbedly standing next to her, her pinkish lips slightly parted in awe, and just the mere captivating beauty of those eyes and angelic face.

Camila deliberately cleared her throat as she started gently folding the omelet into half using that neon green spatula bringing Lauren back to full consciousness from her complete astonishment. The chef, with only her right hand in use, skillfully rolled the omelet into the plate nearby. Lauren shot her a look, her girlfriend was showing off again, and Camila merely flashed her best innocent face. Just how in the world did the mighty Phoenix diced the onions and tomatoes, and generally prepared everything with a single hand. What was even more annoying was that she was free to use her newly-nursed hand but only opt not to for the pleasure of watching Lauren being so amazed by it.

"And that's how you cook an omelet," she made a pause while running her eyes over the plates of mess around them – mostly failed omelet creations, some looked more like scrambled-eggs-gone-wrong while some were simply a disaster courtesy of the wannabe chef, "…the right way."

Lauren threw her a punch on the shoulder, and Cama had to wince a little, before digging in a fork to taste the dish that was emitting the irresistible aroma all around the kitchen atmosphere.

"Hey, just because you only see the fine scars doesn't mean my bones aren't hurting too."

"This is seriously delicious, Camila!" exclaimed the other enthusiastically digging her fork for more ignoring all at once Camila's warning. "Why did you even let me cook in the first place? We wouldn't have to waste all the eggs and some of the other ingredients. We practically used most of yesterday's grocery. Your mom will kill you when she gets home tomorrow."

"You insisted on learning how to cook omelet," she pointed out. "You know, babe, I don't really know how you do it, but you're simply so good at screwing it up."

And Lauren shot her another dirty look, "You don't have to rub it on my face."

"Well, then, learn how to share food. If we're going to live together for the rest of our lives, I volunteer to do all the cooking, but please don't monopolize the eating. That's the fun part. Dinah will totally agree with me here."

Lauren suddenly made a halt at the second part of the statement and turned towards her girlfriend. Was that some sort of a proposal – them living together for the rest of their lives? Insecurity was welcomed back to her senses, just plain scared about the possibilities of the future, scared for what could be the worst of the worsts. So she had to remind herself, it was just Camila after all; there was nothing to be scared of. However, everything was just really scary in here. Technically, it was the first real love for the both of them, and this pool of emotions was a big unfamiliar ocean to swim through; not to mention the last time she honestly poured out her heart to someone, he broke it into thousand shattering pieces. She loved Camila, but the freaking fear of the unknown was killing her slowly inside.