Chapter 22: Frenemies

• • •

Stan dug the shovel into the ground right where a man named Peter Sanders was murdered by a Phoenix and threw away the unnecessary dirt for one last time; Niall then quickly used his hands through the pool of mud to retrieve their money bags while Dinah impractically held up an umbrella to shield them from the rain. The blond IT expert, with all his might, pulled each bag out then handing it over to the tall young man to stock them into their Honda Accord.

One, two, three, Niall mentally counted, and his face soon went blank when he realized that the money bags should have been four, one for each member of the team. He used his hands to dig in a little more, but their make-shift bank was clearly emptied already. After a short pause to process the new-found information, he looked up to his friends with a picture of hope and let out a crazy chuckle.

"Camila's money bag is gone," he happily announced. "It means she was here. She's alive, Stan."

Stan's lips slowly curved into a grin at the good news. Meanwhile, Dinah who happened to be equally joyful had found quite the perfect opportunity to wrap an arm around her crush.

• • •

Sinuhe Cabello braved the pouring rain from her car to the front door and hurriedly pushed her way inside the house. Of all the days that she had to forget to bring an umbrella, it had to be on the day that it would actually rain. There was no point of drying her face or her arms when her entire dress was already soaking wet anyway. She gently dropped the bags on the floor to hung her coat, fixed her hair to its most possible extent, picked up the bags once more then turned towards the living room only to froze into place at the sight of her two guests adoringly cuddled up on the couch as they slept peacefully in each other's arms; the coffee table was adorned with different forms of colorful origami instead of the usual handful of DVDs, it must be one of Lauren's many ideas which Camila couldn't resist no matter how hard she tried.

Sinu couldn't help but smile at the view forgetting all along about the stressful day at work she had and the ridiculous rain that pestered her just a few moments ago. Nothing was more heartwarming than the abstract concept of love except from witnessing it unfold right before your very eyes. Amazing how two motionless people, completely unaware how they even look like at the moment, could define love in every possible way just like that. Nonetheless, never in a million years would anybody suspect that Camila Cabello would be half of the formula. So really, her mother would never mind having Lauren Jauregui around in the house every day for the rest of their lives in exchange of this very rare spectacle.

The generous host quietly made her way to her bedroom to change into some dry clothes for the meantime and to fetch a comfy blanket then went back to the living room to shelter the two bodies oblivious from the cold breeze brought by the pouring rain. It wasn't her intention, but as the fabric softly touched her daughter's skin, the light-sleeper shut her eyes open, alarmed at first until the feeling was replaced by relief at the realization that the presumed danger was, after all, just her mother. Camila glanced at the sleeping angel next to her, lightly pecked the Lauren's hair before carefully pulling her arms not wanting to wake her up, and with a hand from her mother, stood on her feet. It would have taken a lot of time and energy doing so on her own with her injured arm being worthless on a sling. Consequently, the pair of mother and daughter up to carry the loads of bags to the kitchen.

"I'm sorry I lost track of time," apologized the younger one rubbing her eyes awake and offered, "I can make a quick meal."

"No problem," her mother wore a proud smile like she had already taken care of everything being the mythical superwoman that she was. "The stupid rain impulsively made me crave for a delicious soup. I brought home Chinese take-out. I hope Lauren won't mind."