Prologue

Prologue

"Did you tell them?"

"No."

"T!"

"N!" I rolled my eyes at her.

"You should have told them."

"Where's the fun in that?"

"They're your parents."

"They know that. I know that. You know that. What's your point?"

"I don't want to cause any problems."

"You won't."

"I don't believe that."

"Nahia," I took her hand in mine and squeezed. "Stop worrying. It will be fine."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm sure."

The truth was that I wasn't sure. I wasn't sure how my parents would take the news. I left home and Rome when I was twenty-one and started working for the United Nations. It's something I dreamt about when I was a boy and I'd made that dream come true. But now because of Nahia I had to return home. In order to protect her I needed the protection of my family. I needed the protection of my father. She was in danger and I needed to protect to her even if it cost me my freedom.

My father was a hard man to deal with at times. I understand why he is the way he is even if I don't like it. He missed the first three years of my life, I'm the first born and his heir. He had plans for me but I had plans for myself. I didn't want to go into the family business. I had enough brothers for that. I wanted to help people with the skills that I had. I wanted to do something I loved. And I did. I did it for ten years and would have continued doing it if not for Nahia.

Because her life was in danger we had to leave our last assignment in Russia. She'd stumbled upon some information she shouldn't have and the only other choice she had was to flee.

I knew my family, my father in particular. The only way he would accept her regardless of her life being in danger is if she's family. So I did the only thing I could. I married her. I hadn't planned on getting married. I've never thought about it, and even though I don't feel that way about Nahia I'd do my best to be a good husband to her. I'd do my best to protect her. If I had to become the heir and take over from my father to get the power to protect her, that's what I'll do. I'd keep her safe. I would accept the position and the responsibility that came with it. There was no other choice.