25. Too Much To Handle

25. Too much to handle

Kara
I looked at myself in the mirror. There was no way I could hold Bastian off any longer. It's already been two months and he was growing impatient. I had to do something because I had no intention of sleeping with him and I fear what he'd do when he finds out. I need help, and although I promised I would stay away from the De Lucas, I needed Nikolai's opinion.

"Katarina?"

I quickly covered myself and crawled into bed.

"We need to talk."

I knew from the sound of his voice that my time was up.

"We had an agreement. It's been three months and I haven't gotten anything from this deal."

"I'm here, aren't I?"

"I'm done with the games. We're getting married tomorrow whether you like it or not."

"I'm not ready."

"I'm beginning to think you won't ever be ready. I've already made all the necessary arrangements. You know what will happen if you don't."

He exited the room leaving me speechless. I knew it was a risk but I couldn't stall any longer so I sent a very desperate message to my only friend and confidant.

Let's meet.

A response came immediately.

W&W?

I sent very vague details in response and waited for Bastian to leave for work. He never restricted my movements but I was always watched, so I had to be careful.

Unfortunately I didn't get to meet Nikolai because he never showed up at the spot and I was too paranoid to wait around for him. There was no other choice. Unless something drastic happens between today and tomorrow I was going to be a married woman; wife of Bastian Conti. My time would be up.

A month later...

Talon
I looked at Raúl who had a black eye and a busted lip and smiled. I'd finally done it. I'd bested him and now it was time to go home.

"I'll take my phone now."

"Well done. Now...now you are ready."

I ran my fingers through my hair. It was a mess but somehow I've come to like it long.

"As promised, you have my undying loyalty and the loyalty of the men I commanded. They're now yours. What would you like us to do?"

"For starters, I'd like to shower, eat and go home."

"As you wish."

"Well done lad." Salvador slapped me on the back. "I guess I have to call you boss now."

"Talon is fine."

"Your wish is my command."

We spent one last night in Raúl's camp before heading back. Even after I got my phone back I hadn't even attempted using it. I had changed so much in the two months I spent in South America. I was different yet the same, and I was hungrier. I wanted what was mine. I wanted my father's empire. I wanted the De Luca empire. It was my right.

We got to Rome a couple of days later after taking the difficult route. It was night time when we touched down. I contacted no one. The aim was to get the men settled, which I did. Salvador had become a friend and I trusted his opinion.

"You should contact her."

"What if she doesn't want to hear from me? What if I've already lost her?"