11. A different side

Talon
"Your breakfast."

"Thank you. Are you still mad at me?"

"Who says I was mad?"

"You're horrible at hiding your feelings."

"If you say so. I'm not mad. I'm indifferent."

"I'm handling it."

"Okay."

What I didn't tell Kara was that I wasn't handling it. I was confused by my reaction and confused by Nahia's action. She had kissed me. She has never tried anything like that before. It was strange behaviour for her. What was even more surprising was that I had kissed her back for a brief moment. But then she tried to get me to sleep with her and I came to my senses. I ended up sleeping in a different room. I wouldn't put myself in a situation that I couldn't control.

Things got even weirder over the next few days. She even showed up at the office. I'm not sure how she got here or what game she is playing, but it was having an effect on me and on Kara. I watched her leave with stiff shoulders. Her hair was up today and has been that way for a while now. She was shutting me out.

A few weeks passed and things only got weirder. Nahia showed up at the office every day now and she always brought lunch. Sometimes I ate it, but sometimes I didn't. Everyone now knew I was married and knew my wife. They knew her by name and welcomed her. The more she came the less of Kara I saw, until I didn't see her at all. I needed help and there was only one person I could go to for help.
____________
"What do you want me to do, Talon?"

"Just tell me where she is."

"Would it change anything if you knew?"

"It would change a lot."

"Okay. Kara is in New York with your brother."

My hands fisted at my side and I had to remind myself to breathe slowly.

"I see."

"You can't blame her for wanting to get away from it all."

"I'm not taking the blame for this one. Mother is the one who has her cooking and making lunch."

"What would you have had your mother do? You brought that woman here. You forced us to accept her."

I ran my fingers through my hair.

"Are they sleeping together?"

My father looked at me with interest.

"Would it bother you if they were sleeping together?"

"He's practically half her age. How can you not see what's wrong with that?"

He laughed.

"You're jealous of your brother."

"Don't be ridiculous. Nikolai is a baby and he's sulking."

He shrugged.

"I don't know what you want me to do about it."

"Father, please."

"Your mother told me to stay out of it."

"Mum wouldn't tell you that."

"Well, she did. She made it perfectly clear that until she decides on one of them I'm to stay out of it."

"I've already decided."

"I know, but your mother was very clear."

"She saved my life."

"Don't you think you're being a little too dramatic. You haven't even known her for three months yet."