29. The plot thickens

Kara
I watched Bastian's face turn into a distraught look after receiving the call about his father's death. I didn't feel anything. That man hated me. He has always hated me and I felt the same about him. Good riddance. Apparently he got drunk, missed a step and fell to his death. They're saying he died immediately. That's too good of a death for him I think, but death is death and I'll take it however it comes.

The lawyers arrived later that morning. I wasn't surprised in the least. For the Conti's it was always business first. The body isn't even cold yet and they're already transferring ownership according to the contents of his will. It was sad really, but not my problem so I went about my day as usual. That meant staying in my room and trying not to give any hints as to my current condition and predicament. From time to time my mind wondered to Talon. What was he doing at that particular moment? Was he still upset? Is he thinking about me? Is he thinking about our baby? Did he even miss me? I hope so because I missed him a lot. Ever since I saw him the other night all I can think about is him between my legs. I can't remember what he feels like. I can't remember what his kisses taste like. I can't even remember what his touches are like. I can't remember anything and that saddens me.

"Katarina!"

Bastian stormed into the room looking quite furious.

"What did you do?!"

I jumped to my feet startled.

"What are you talking about?"

He held my shoulders and shook me hard.

"What the hell did you do? Have you been stealing from me?"

What the hell was he going on about?

"What are you talking about?"

"Have you been stealing from the charity?"

"Excuse me? You might want to thread very carefully there."

"Have you or have you not been stealing from the charity you requested to be put in charge of?"

I stepped back.

"I have no idea what you're talking about Bastian."

"I can't do this shit right now. I have to deal with the death of my father. There are two officers downstairs waiting to speak with you. Hopefully it's all a misunderstanding and will be sorted out soon because I do not need your mess added to whatever I already have."

Yes. We wouldn't want that at all I thought.

"Go speak with the officers."

He left just as quickly as he had come. Bastian always had that 'I am the prince respect me' complex which I hated then and hated even more now. I dressed quickly but smart before going down to speak with the officers. I'm sure it was all a misunderstanding on their part and everything would be sorted out quickly so I could return to the safety of my room.

Unfortunately that was not the case.

"Excuse me?"

"We've received a tip that you have been stealing from the Conti charity."

I really wanted to laugh but knew I couldn't.

"That is ridiculous. Why would I need to commit fraud to get money? I have my own and my husband certainly gives me enough."

"Ma'am, this is the information we've received and as such we'll have to take you in on suspicion of charity fraud. If we verify that that isn't the case then you'll be free to go but for now we have to take you in."