33. Daddy dearest

33. Daddy dearest

Kaitlyn-Rose
"You're sulking."

"I'm not sulking. I'm angry."

"No you're not. You're hurt. Talon sent you away at a crucial time and you're hurt. It's okay to admit it. I was hurt too, but I got over it."

"He's my son!"

"He's our son."

"You always take his side."

"And you never take his side enough. Niko, you're always harder on Talon. Why? Lucas, Alessandro and Nikolai all get away with murder but when it comes to Talon you never let him off. Why is that?"

"He was supposed to take over all of this."

"It doesn't matter who takes it over. You expect too much of him. Talon has always been his own person. Even as a child he followed his own path. You have to let him go at some point. He's a grown ass man for fucks sake."

"Rose..."

"I know you just want the best for him. I do too, but you have to let him find what that is on his own."

"I hate it when you're right."

"You love it."

He pretended to pout and I gave him a quick kiss before turning to face Raúl.

"Senor, senora."

"Raúl. It's been too long."

"Talon is waiting. He wanted to update you himself."

Niko didn't look pleased but that's because he was holding a grudge against Raúl. He was such a child sometimes but I wouldn't trade him for anyone else in the world.

I hugged my son the minute I was inside and pushed Niko so he could do the same. They embraced each other but said nothing more.

"So, what's the big news? What made you demand our presence back home so suddenly?"

"The Conti situation is more or less handled. There are some things I have to wrap up but you could say it is resolved."

It seemed that suddenly my husband found his voice.

"How exactly did you resolve it?"

"I got rid of them."

I sighed. I really didn't want my son to go down this path but it seemed he already had.

"Let's not talk anymore about that. I'm hungry so let's have breakfast."

"There's something you should know before you go in. Kara is here and she will be staying here for the time being."

Niko and I exchanged looks.

"Well then. That is good news."

Breakfast was pretty quiet but I suppose that was more due to the tension between father and son and the absence of Nikolai. No one even mentioned him and Niko didn't ask about him either.

Talon cleared his throat drawing our attention.

"Kara and I have something to tell you. Lucas and Alessandro already know but Kara and I thought it would be best for everyone if we told you in person."

He looked at Kara. "Do you want to do it."

I could see the resolve in her eyes when she looked at me and then Niko.

"Talon and I are going to have a child. I'm pregnant. You're going to be grandparents."

A smile came to my face and I could feel the tension leave Niko's body.