Chapter 10 - The Dangers Of Curiosity

ʟᴜᴄɪɴᴀ ᴡᴀɴᴅᴇʀᴇᴅ ᴀʙᴏᴜᴛ, retracing her steps so she wouldn't get lost in the forest.
The night sky seemed to be in her satisfaction— the dark rain clouds were clearing, revealing the beautiful stars twinkling about. For once, Lucina was happy about the night— she had always feared being in the darkness by herself. But she couldn't do that anymore; people could
be counting on her, depending on her.
She kicked away pebbles on the dirt, which seemed to make her thoughts stop by a tad. Another rustle of the trees gave her the scent of pine; giving Lucina a piece of her childhood: Lucina remembered when she entered the woods with her family.
    Sumia would always take lead as if she'd known the whole forest. They'd usually bring snacks with them, or toys.
They would have fun, just the four of
them— Chrom, Sumia, Cynthia, and of course, herself— Picking berries, learning to hunt, playing hide-and-seek in the trees; it was always something she wouldn't forget. Her family was happy.
    Lucina longed to have those moments again, when she didn't have to worry about a war; when she didn't need to worry all the time about her parents leaving the country, where everything was, well– peaceful again. A time when Lucina could run around with her sister outside, not caring who could've been watching her.
And then she remembered all those times were sealed away now.
Lucina sighed, glancing up at the moonlight.

Everything was so still, so un-motioned, she could hear the leaves hanging from the trees stop rustling.
Lucina let out a heaving sigh, not caring if anyone could hear.
Nobody should be awake at all, should anyone?
It was so sudden when Lucina heard a snarl from behind her, making her flinch.
The sound was so familiar, Lucina didn't dare look back. It was the sound that she had feared ever since Chrom had died; the sound that she knew was a death sentence to her.
And her predictions were right...
The sound belonged to a risen.
A pair– no, several pairs of red eyes met Lucina's blue ones once she turned with complete hesitation. More and more orbs began to glow in the darkness. One part of her mind told her to stay still, another to attack.
And poor-minded Lucina chose to attack otherwise.
Unsheathing Falchion attached to her belt, she held it out as if she were fearless. Her heart began to thud insanely fast.
Maybe taking a walk wasn't the best idea after all.

    Lucina immediately dodged an axe whizzing past her head, snipping away a few strands of hair. Bringing both hands up to the hilt of her blade, she forced it forward, targeting the risens middle.
It pierced clean through the target easily.    The beast fell lifeless onto the ground, giving a signal for the others to attack.
Lucina's mouth dropped open at the number of the undead– about two dozen– and felt blood draining from her face.
    The first lurched towards the princess, swinging an iron sword at her. Lucina easily deflected each attack with Falchion, saving her turn for later.
    Exhaustion attacked her more than the risens did. She remembered that she wasn't fully recovered from the recent battle— almost bringing her to insane worry. Seconds after she thrust her head to the side, dodging an arrow, she could feel dizziness, a dizziness which she knew would slow her down from fighting.
Slicing through another risen, she began to run towards the camp. There were just too many of them— Lucina could get killed to simply.
    Her vision was loosing colour as she pushed her feet quicker. She heard the strained growls behind her back, forcing her to keep moving. Several weapons began landing beside her or in front of her, slowing her down. She was almost there...
Until she bumped into a figure, landing face first in its arms.

    She felt the risens footsteps approaching her closer and closer until they stopped. Time was slowing down as she heard a calming but muffled voice in her eardrums.
"Lucina... I got you." A male voice? Her breaths didn't stop going rapid— she was probably hyperventilating— which was taking away her consciousness little by little. "Okay, you little scums! Nobody takes away the cousin of Owain!" Owain. It was Owain.