Chapter Two

Sitting outside on the driveway, I wait for Kristin to show. She promised, I remind myself. I look at our packed car, still irritated that we were driving to this new place instead of flying. I guess we couldn't afford it or something.

"Evangeline, quit sitting around and start helping with the last of boxes." My mom shouts from the doorway. I sigh and turn around to face her.

"I am waiting for Kristin. She said she would be here." I say, irritated. I am not moving until Kristin got here. I can be an extremely stubborn person when I want to.

"Well, while your waiting, you could help. You know, your dad and I aren't the only ones moving." Mom responds, walking back into the house.

"Well, you and dad are the only ones who want to move." I mumble. I stand up and dust off my butt, making sure there isn't gravel or dirt on it. Looking up, I see a blonde head running toward my house.

"Kristin!" I squeal.

"Evie," She shouts, "I'm here! Don't leave yet!"

"Wouldn't dream of it!" I shout back. I start jogging toward her and open my arms for a hug. She mimics my action as she comes within five feet of me. We crash into each other for the hug of a lifetime.

"Evangeline, get inside the house and start help-" Shouts my mom from the doorway, "oh, hi Kristin. Never mind, I think your dad and I got it."

I didn't bother responding, even if I could. The crying episode that hit me yesterday, hits me even harder today. Tears are streaming down my face as I hug my best friend for probably the last time.

We stand here hugging each other for a long time. Not saying anything, just hugging. Our time is cut short, however, when my mom comes and places a hand on each of our shoulders.

"I'm so sorry, but it's time for us to be packed in the car. It's time to go Evangeline." Mom says, sympathy lacing her tone.

I pull back from Kristin, not surprised to see tears in her eyes and falling down her face.

"You have a phone," Kristin says, "use it. Text me, call me, anything. If you don't, I will come and hunt you down." She emphasizes the 'hunt you down'.

I smile, "Don't worry, you are speed dial number two, right after 911 on speed dial one."

Kristin holds out her pinky, "Friends forever and ever, always sticking together."

I hook her pinky with mine, "Friends forever and ever, always sticking together." I repeat. She hugs me again while we walk to the car.

Once we get to the car, she lets me go. I step back and sit down in the backseat. My parents are already seated in the front seat and had started the car, waiting for me. I close the door and immediately open the window.

"Love you sister." I say through the open window.

"Love you more." Kristin responds.

With that said, my dad pushes the gas down and our car starts rolling away. I stick my head and arm out the window, waving and smiling as we roll away. I see Kristin waving back like a maniac as she starts getting smaller.

We come to the end of the street and make a left. Now that I can't see Kristin, I pull my head and arm back in the car and close the window. My bag, that was supposed to be a carry on, is instead sitting on the seat next to me. I zip it open and stick my hand in it to see if I can find my iPod. Digging around, I finally felt the smooth screen that is my iPod. Pulling it out, I am happy to find that my earphones are already connected to the iPod.

Putting the earphones in my ear, I unlock my iPod, go into my music, and hit the shuffle. Mirrors by Justin Timberlake starts blaring in my ears. Humming in my head, I sit back against the seat and close my eyes.

"Evangeline, wake up we are coming into the town." Dad says, shaking my leg. I slowly open my eyes.

"Huh." I mumble, rubbing my eyes. Not sleeping last night sure made up for today. I didn't have to sit through hours of boredom in a car. I look out the window to find nothing but trees in a massive forest. Glancing forward, I see a small wooden sign sticking up from the ground.

Welcome to Lupus Harbor.

So I was right. It is something Harbor. I'll have to tell Kristin the name of town to prove it actually exists. Once we passed the sign however, only forest existed, no Lupus Harbor.

"I thought you said we were outside the town. Do they live in the trees?" I ask looking up in the trees to see if I could find a treehouse or something.

"Haha," Mom snickers, "no they don't live in trees. This is still the towns territory, but the real town is up ahead a bit." Damn, living trees would be awesome.

Ten minutes later, there is still no sign of the actual town. "So how far is 'a bit' away?" I ask.

"Well, it should be here somewhere." Mom says.

As if right on cue, the first buildings of the town came into view. I'm surprised, I expected to see a bunch of wood shacks, instead I see brick and cement.

These buildings must be houses, seeing as there were porches in the front of them. As we keep on driving, the houses seem to get bigger and nicer. Eventually, a iron gate fence comes into view.

My jaw drops open as I see through the gate what must of been a mansion. We don't slow down, so all I get is a quick glance. But what I see sticks in my brain.

Majestic poles stand in front of the front door, holding up a patio right in the front of the house. Behind the poles is the huge red oak front doors that stand seven feet tall. On the front doors, is a gold knocker that seems to gleam brighter than the sun. The whole house, beside the doors, is a creme colored marble that clashes with the deep green of the forest that surrounds the house. The sides of the house each seem to have hundreds of windows, each were covered with a curtain on the inside of the house. The forest blocks the sides of the house as we keep on driving.

Who lives there? I thought this town was a rundown nobody town. Apparently, a very rich person lives in this town. Great, rich kids.

We keep on driving and about five minutes later we reach the town part of the Lupus Harbor. Here, there seems to be more than meets the eye. Store upon store flashes by. Clothing, shoes, Family Dollar, restaurants, a movie theater, a grocery store, a gift shop. This town seems to have everything.

The people walk on the sidewalks, absorbed in their own worlds. No one seems to notice the new car driving on their street. Today seems to be one of the rare hot days as girls flounce around in low cut tank tops and shorty shorts. Guys are wearing basketball shorts and wife beaters. Everyone seems to be out enjoying the hot weather.

The car keeps driving and we move on through the town, back into more residential areas. Stores turn into houses and the forest thickens.

We pull into a driveway and I start to observe my new house. The outside is painted a light blue that is extremely chipped in some areas and had been through too many rain storms. There's a small front porch that's next to the garage. The front door is a light brown that surprisingly goes with the blue house.

The house has two stories. On the first story, there's a huge window next to the front door that looks into the living room. The second story, however, has three windows side by side by side. I assume that those look into the bedrooms. Looking at the outside of the house, nothing special jumps out at me.

It's just a house, not even as nice as the one I left.