Chapter Five

Pain. Red, hot pain. That's all there was, was pain. My eyes shot open as the worst pain I had ever felt crashed through my body.

My mistake was thinking it was a dream. It didn't go away as my eyes opened, it seemed to get worse.

I gasped out loud as the pain got even worse. Something was burning inside of me, begging to come out. I ripped off the sports bra and booty shorts I was wearing as pajamas, and laid in my bed naked. I wiggled around on my bed trying to make it go away.

I let out a silent scream as the pain peaked. By now, my eyes were watering and my breathing was labored. The water spilled down my face as I let out a cry. I tried to stay quiet to make sure that I didn't wake my parents.

My breath came out as pants and I held my stomach, where the pain seemed to be emitting. The burning increased, and it felt like I was on fire. I let out another sob and had to put one of my hands over my mouth to muffle the sobs.

All of a sudden, the burning decreased. It still hurt like a bitch, but my panting slowly became normal breathing and my eyes stopped crying. I slowly relaxed from my tense position as the burning subsided. I took my hands off my stomach and mouth and wiped the tears off my face.

I curled up in the fetal position, whimpering from the pain that I had felt. I stared out into the darkness of my bedroom, when I realized what time it was.

12:17

The blue light from the alarm clock shone out against the darkness of the room. I had been asleep for three hours. Three hours of sleep is not enough, but I found I could not fall back asleep. I laid there, waiting for pain, sleep, or something completely strange. I found none of these.

2:34

My eyes would not shut. My brain would not turn off. My body never relaxed from the fetal position. I didn't know what I was waiting for, or even if I was waiting for something.

3:53

My eyes finally started to fall asleep. My brain took a break form over-thinking everything. My body stretched out to a more comfortable position. I let my eyes fall asleep and I prayed for no more surprises.

I shot up out of bed, and sighed. It was only my alarm clock. No more pain, hopefully. I hopped up out of bed, and felt the results of my five hour sleep as the blood rushed to my head. I held my head in my hand as I walked to the bathroom.

Once I got there, I gasped at what I saw in the mirror. My head was the least of my problems. I had forgotten that I was naked, so when my eyes landed on my body I was surprised to say the least.

Bruises. Deep black and purple bruises covered my stomach and thighs. I turned around and saw that there were a few bruises on my lower back and butt. My mouth wouldn't close as I turned in a circle to see the whole damage.

Where did these come from? Did I hold myself too tight last night? Are these the aftermath of that burning feeling? But, I was pretty sure that the burning feeling seemed to be coming from inside of my body.

I rushed back into my room, making sure my parents did not see me. I didn't bother with a shower and instead used my time to unpack to suitcase filled with my clothes. While I was unpacking I found today's outfit. I didn't bother dressing up nicer than I would normally.

I picked out a light blue t-shirt that had the Hollister logo in the corner, and and pair of dark wash jeans. I finished unpacking and noticed that I had a little less than thirty minutes until I had to leave in order to not be late for school.

I quickly got dressed, wincing when I moved to fast and hurt my bruises, and ran a brush through my hair. I didn't bother straightening it or putting it into an up-do. I decided to also not put on makeup, I liked to go natural anyway. I grabbed my backpack and walked to the bathroom to brush my teeth. I then ran downstairs and grabbed a Nutrigrain bar. My mom was already in the car so I slipped on my black flats and went out into the car.