Chapter Twenty

JOSH'S POV

Sitting in history listening to Mr. Holland go on about some important event was such a bore. I sigh again and look at the clock. It's been four minutes since the last time I checked. I sigh again, how slow can this class go?

Suddenly Ashton's voice fills my head. I am outside the cafeteria, his voice says, I need to talk to you.

What does he want now? All week he's been asking me about Evie and what she's like and what to say to her, and frankly, it's getting on my nerves. I look at the clock again, another minute has passed.

I raise my hand and it takes a few seconds for Mr. Holland to notice my raised hand.

"Yes, Josh." Mr. Holland's gruff voice says. He sounds irritated that I interrupted his lecture. I smile on the inside.

"Can I go to the bathroom?" I ask quickly.

Mr. Holland sighs, "It's almost lunch, can't you wait?" He looks almost embarrassed to be asking me that.

"No." A few of the other students snicker at my response.

"Fine, but if the bell rings, you have to come back here and grab your stuff." I am out of my seat and halfway across the room by the time he said 'come back here'.

I quickly leave the classroom and stroll down the hall to the cafeteria. I hear pacing before I see Ashton. I turn the corner and true to my ears, Ashton is pacing. His head immediately shoots up as soon as I turn the corner.

"What took you so long?" Ashton asks, his voice hard.

"I am helping you, not the other way around." I remind him. He's been having an issue with patience lately and, like his constant questions about Evie, his lack of patience is starting to get on my nerves.

Ashton sighs and runs his hand through his hair, his hard expression disappearing. He stops his pacing as I come up to him.

"What do you want?" I ask him when I face him.

"Is she with anyone? Does she have a boyfriend?" Ashton almost sounded insecure as he asked his questions.

I snort, "What kind of questions are those?"

Ashton's hard expression comes back, "Don't laugh at me. And they're perfectly fine questions. I'm her mate."

I snort again, "Some mate you've been."

Ashton moves so quickly that I don't see him move. His hand is around my neck and he is holding me against the wall. His normal blue eyes have turned black with anger. A growl emanates from his throat.

"It's true and you know it."

Ashton's body immediately slacks at my words. He let's go of my neck and takes a step back, closing his eyes. When he looks at me again, I can clearly see the regret in his eyes. He doesn't say anything.

"No."

"What?" The question is filled with regret, though I know the regret doesn't have anything to do with what I said.

"She isn't in a relationship. I'm the only guy she really talks to." I say quietly. Ashton's body relaxes in relief at my words.

Suddenly, his body tenses as if he's being attacked.

"You're not with her, are you?" Ashton asks me. His voice takes on an accusing tone.

I narrow my eyes, "No. But maybe I should have been there when you weren't." I know I am just egging him on, but I don't care. He deserves it.