Chapter Thirty

Ashton made sure that this date made up for the last one. He was the epitome of a gentleman, even asking me if he could kiss me. I would always say yes and even told him that he didn't have to ask me, but he did anyway. I could tell he was trying to make up for the bad ending of our last date.

We had become a couple, and it seemed that everyone knew that. Everyone at school would talk about us as a couple, even my parents had noticed. They had requested to have dinner with Ashton.

The door bell rings and my stomach does a flip at the thought of the person standing on the other side of the door. I walk quickly to the door, make sure I still look presentable, and open the door.

Ashton stands there in a deep blue polo and khakis. The dark blue shirt makes his eyes shine out brighter and I watch his eyes trail over me as I just did to him. The smile on his face mirrors mine.

"Hi sweetheart." Ashton says, his voice an octive lower than it normally is.

I clear my thoat, "Hi."

He steps inside and reveals what was behind his back, which is funny because I didn't realise he was hiding something behind his back. A bouquet of red roses appears and I gasp.

"These are so pretty." I exclaim as I lean towards them. I've always loved the smell of roses.

Ashton smiles, "Not as pretty as what I am looking at." I look up and see that he is staring at me. I feel a blush crawl up my cheeks.

He leans down to give me a quick peck on the lips, but is stopped by my father's voice, "Minimum of three feet apart please." I turn around and see my father staring at us with a smile on his face. He gives me a wink and turns back towards the kitchen to help my mom finish.

I glance at Ashton and see him smirking. Before I can ask what he is thinking, he quickly leans down and pecks me on the lips. I can't help but smile, but then have to hold in a chuckle when Ashton winks and puts a finger to his lips.

"Our secret." He whispers. I put my hand over my mouth to make sure my laughter isn't heard by my parents. Ashton hands me the roses and I start walking to the dining room. I hear the door close behind me and then I feel Ashton's presence behind me.

"Hello Ashton, oh my goodness, those are pretty. Evangeline, go get a vase so they don't dry out." My mom takes a second out of her rushing around to smell the roses. She then shoos me towards the farthest cabinet where we keep the vases. Opening the cabinet, I see that someone decided to put all the vases on the top shelf. I brace my hands on the counter to jump up in order to reach them.

"Here, let me." Ashton says from behind me. One of his arms goes around my waist as the other reaches up and grabs a vase. He sets it down in front of me but doesn't move. I lean into his chest as his other arm goes around my waist.

"Stupid tall person." I say quietly, hoping Ashton does hear me. He laughs at my insult.

Someone clears their throat behind us and we turn to see my dad shaking his head, "Three feet, I thought I made that clear." His face looks serious but I can see the amusement in his eyes.

I feel Ashton's arms fall away and his body heat disappears as he takes a step away from me. I sigh and glare at my dad.

"He carried me in when I was sleeping. We were closer than three feet then." I continue to glare at him.

Dad shrugs, "Since this is the official meet-the-parents, there is going to be a minimum distance between you two."

"You're ridiculus." I mutter at him and make a big show of grabbing Ashton's hand. I start walking towards the sink with the vase, and Ashton trailing behind me, to get water for the roses.