Chapter Twelve

Sunday passed too quickly and soon enough, Monday came around. I woke up, surprisingly, with no pain. I hadn't felt it since that fateful day in the shower. I got out of bed and did my morning routine of finding my outfit, putting it on, brushing my hair and teeth, then putting on a small amount of foundation so the circles under my eyes would disappear. My sleeping habits were becoming much better due to the lack of excruciating pain.

I walked downstairs and found my mom ready to go. I quickly grabbed an apple, as I couldn't find my normal Nutrigrain bar. I started munching on it as I walked to the garage. Once there, I slid in the front seat with my backpack and my mom started driving.

"I never asked you, how was your date?" My mom asked me. I sighed, not really wanting to tell her the details which she would want.

"Well, we went to this really good cafe, which had probably the best milkshake I had ever eaten. We just talked I guess." I explained really quickly, hoping that it was enough for my mom.

"What did you guys talk about?" Of course not.

I sighed, "We talked about our favorite things. Like colors, foods, and movies."

"And?" My mom said impatiently.

"And what! That's all, we just talked." I said annoyed.

"I just want to know what happened. Nothing bad right?" She glanced at me from the corner of her eye.

It took me a second to figure out what she meant by 'bad'.

"No mom! Nothing like that happened! We just met!" A light pink blush covered my cheeks once I realized where my mother's thoughts had went. Why would she even go there?

"As a mom, I need to make sure you're making the right decisions." She reprimanded, not sounding at all embarrassed from what she asked me.

"No mom. We didn't do anything but talk. Can we drop it please?" I asked with the blush still covering my cheeks.

"Alright, if that's all that happened." My mom said skeptically.

"Yes mother." I huffed.

We drove the rest of the way in silence. Once we pulled up to the school, I quickly got out of the car and waved goodbye, making sure my mom didn't have any time to look for Josh.

She drove away as I turned around and walked towards the school. I couldn't spot Josh standing around the outside of the school, so I hoped to see him inside.

I walked inside and still couldn't find him. I decided to stop looking and just head to class. I would see him in math. I started walking towards my first class.

My mind wandered as I walked to my class. What did Josh think of our 'date'? What did he think about what I told him? My thoughts turned sour once my mind started thinking if Josh's new opinion of me. What does he think of me now?

My thoughts abruptly stopped when I accidentally walked into the doorframe of my class. My neck and face heated up in embarrassment. I looked around quickly and noticed that no one was paying attention. I sighed in relief.

I walked into class and found my way to my seat. I was, once again, the first person in the room besides Mr. Holland. I took out my notebook for this class, which also had my checklist for 'our' project. I had almost completed the poster on Sunday. I only needed a few more pictures and the last few touches on the timeline and summary and then I would be done. However, I didn't even get to start my paper, but I did have two weeks left.

After looking at the checklist for a minute, I put it away. I didn't want to think about it. I leaned my head on my hand and decided to stare at the clock as the minutes ticked by.

The minutes started to tick by. The minutes started to tick by faster the more I watched the clock. I started to enjoy watching the clock's ticking. It became my entertainment.

Too soon, the class started filing in. I watched as people, who I still didn't know, came in talking and laughing with their friends. I sighed, suddenly missing Kristin. My eyes stayed on a certain boy when he walked in.

He walked in laughing with one of his friends, who I also didn't know. They seemed to be deep in a very funny conversation. His laugh drifted to my ears and a low gasp came out of my mouth. It was so deep and friendly.

Suddenly, Ashton's eyes found mine. I sucked in a quick breathe and quickly averted my eyes. Shit, I didn't want him to see me watching him laugh. I feel so stalker-ish.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Ashton walk over to our table. I held my breathe as he sat down. When he didn't say anything, I quietly let go of my held in breathe. I focused, instead, on Mr. Holland who decided to start class.

We were halfway through class, and halfway through Mr. Holland's lecture, when I felt hot breath against my ear. I froze, the only movement was of my suddenly racing heart. Though, I didn't know why it was racing.

"What were you looking at earlier?" His hot breath fanned my ear. My breathing hitched in my throat. I didn't know how to respond.

"Well?" He sounded impatient.

I took a deep breath, "Nothing." I hoped my voice didn't shake when I answered. It didn't sound like I did to me.

"You sound nervous," Ashton stated, "are you nervous?"

"Why would I be nervous?" I answered bravely.

Ashton merely shrugged and leaned back toward his seat. I took a deep breath, glad that he moved away. I was becoming uncomfortable with him that close.

My relief was short lived. About two minutes later, his hot breath was once again at my ear.

"So," he drawled out in a hushed tone, "how's our project going?"

I scoffed, "Our project."

"Well what else would it be?" Ashton's cocky reply suddenly made me angry.

"How about the asshole's and I's project." My mind was so incoherent with anger at his little snarky remark that that was the only reply I could come up with. However, it seemed to do the trick.

"What did you call me?' Ashton's harsh whisper blew against my ear.

"You heard me, dickhead." I didn't get why he ticked me off so much.

A growl-like noise vibrated in my ear. My anger vanished at the noise. It sounded so hostile and animal.

"Watch what you say Evie." His threat whispered in my ear. Despite the threat, shivers ran down my spine when he spoke my name. I quickly shoved my feelings aside and again tried to focus on the lecture.

After a minute, Ashton's presence against my side vanished. I assumed he moved to lean back in his chair. I let out a breath and focused on Mr. Holland and his lecture.

Class ended and I quickly packed up my stuff and took off towards my next class. I was excited to see Josh today and talk to him. After I let everything off my chest and told him everything, I think our friendship could become deeper. I wanted to discuss my predicament with him because he seemed to know more about it then he was letting on.

I quickly reached math class and looked eagerly towards Josh's desk. It was empty. My smile turned into a frown. I was really looking forward to talking to him.

My shoulders sagged a little as I walked toward my seat. Once I sat down, I took out my math book and waited for Mrs. Flemington to start class.

My once cheery mood disappeared after math. Without Josh, math was once again the most boring class on earth. I didn't feel like doing anything, and I definitely didn't want to continue school today.

I walked out of math class and headed to communications. My mood lifted as I walked to class, excited to see Katherine. Hopefully she was here today. I reached communications and looked into the classroom.

"Evie!" Katherine shouted from the middle of the room. Everyone's head turned to me and my face turned red once everybody in the class was looking at me.

I waved to Katherine and walked into the room. Luckily for me, everyone who was looking at me focused again on what they were doing before Katherine shouted. I started walking over to Katherine, but Mr. Johnston stepped in front of me.

"Are you feeling better Evie?" He asked, concern lacing his voice.

"Yes, much better. Thanks." I responded. Mr. Johnston smiled at my response and turned to another student who was asking for his help.

I stepped around Mr. Johnston and walked to my seat next to Katherine's. I sat down and put my backpack next to my seat. Katherine turned toward me.

"How you feeling?" She asked.

"Much better. I think I was sleep deprived." I joked.

"Aren't we all." Katherine muttered.

I chucked quietly and was about to respond, when Mr. Johnston started class.

"Alright class, today we are going to start watching the movie." There was a muffled 'yes' around the room.

"However," he continued, "there will be no talking, no cell phones, and no sleeping. Oh, and before we start, I know he looks like a young Zac Efron."

What's that supposed to mean? I look at Katherine and raise my eyebrow in question. She shrugs her shoulders in response.

Mr. Johnston smiled like he knew something no one else did. He walked over to the DVD player and put in the Romeo and Juliet DVD.

I sighed and slumped down into my seat. Mr. Johnston started the movie.

As soon as it started, I understood what Mr. Johnston said about Zac Efron. Except this guy was much hotter.

"He does look like Zac Efron!" Katherine exclaimed. I chuckled again at her obvious statement. Mr. Johnston rolled his eyes at Katherine.

For the rest of class, we watched the beginning of Romeo and Juliet. I had already seen this movie a couple if times with my romance obsessed mother.

Class was five minutes away from ending when Mr. Johnston paused the movie. We were at the part where Romeo just left Juliet's balcony.

"Tomorrow we will either finish the movie or get close to finishing it." Mr. Johnston said.

Everyone started packing up their stuff. I didn't have any stuff to pack up so I stayed seated in my seat.

"He is so hot." Katherine gushed to me.

"The guy who played Romeo?" I asked her.

She gave me a look, "No the chick who played Juliet." I laughed.

Katherine and I walked out of the class and started heading toward the lunchroom. However, about halfway to the lunchroom, I stopped. I didn't know if I wanted to go into the lunchroom.

"What's wrong?" Katherine asked, looking worried.

"Well," I didn't know how to explain my irrational fear of going into the lunchroom. Luckily, Katherine seemed to understand.

"Come on Evie. You can sit with me. You'll be fine." Katherine grabbed my arm and started dragging me to the lunchroom.

Katherine dragged me straight into the lunchroom, not seeming bothered by some stares that greeted us. She walked directly to a table in the back, near a window. She then promptly sat me down in a seat and proceeded to seat herself next to me. There were already a couple people at the table, and once I sat down, all eyes were on me. I quickly looked down at the table, hiding my embarrassment.

"Hello friends, this is Evie." Katherine introduced. I looked up to see their responses.

"I'm Grant. I'm in your honors communications class." Grant introduced. As soon as he mentioned honors communications, I instantly recognized him from my first day here. He was in the group with Katherine, myself, and those other two who didn't seem to like me. I quickly returned a smile.

"Hey Evie, I'm Taylor." A girl with extremely curly, brown hair introduced. I smiled in return. She seemed pretty nice.

"Alright, now that introductions are over, time to get down to business. How hot is the guy from Romeo and Juliet?" Katherine gushed.

"Well, I mean-" Taylor started before she was interrupted by Katherine.

"It was rhetorical. He's hot as hell." Katherine said with a serious face. I cracked a smile at her seriousness.

Lunch continued, and I found myself enjoying the small talk that was going on. I didn't take part in it much, my shyness was too much. Lunch eventually ended and all four of us stood up to go to our next classes.

"See you in gym." Katherine said as she started walking away from me. I waved in return as I started heading to science.

As I was walking, someone settled into the same walking pace as me as they walked beside me. I glanced at who was there, my senses on high.

"Josh!" I shouted. I quickly turned and gave him a hug. He seemed surprised by my outburst, but gave me a hug in return.

"Where were you? You weren't in math." I accused as we started walking again.

"Sorry," he apologized," I got caught up doing something at home. It was kind of important so I skipped the beginning of school."

"Oh." I didn't know how to respond, so my mind turned blank. Silence settled over us.

"How was your morning?" Josh asked as we neared our class.

"It was school on a Monday morning, what do you think?" I answered, sarcasm lacing my voice.

Josh chucked and didn't respond. We reached our class and walking in. Surprisingly, today was one of the rare days where we would have to take notes. I sighed in disappointment, I wanted to talk to Josh.

After an hour of drawing butterflies, listening to a monotone teacher, and making weird faces at Josh, class was finally over. I quickly packed up my stuff, excited to finally being able to talk to Josh.

I met him outside of the classroom door. We started walking toward gym.

"About what you told me..." Josh started. I took a deep breath. My stomach fluttering from the nervousness that suddenly appeared. Questions from this morning started swirling around in my mind. What would he think of me now?

"Did you tell anyone else?"

I looked at him, confused. Why would he ask me that?

"No, just you." I said slowly.

Josh sighed in relief. A puzzled expression spread across my face at his relief. Why would it matter if I told someone else?

"Why does it matter?" I asked him.

"What do you mean?" He stopped in the somewhat empty hallway.

"Well, why would it matter if I told anyone else?" I elaborated.

Josh hesitated, "It would just be better to keep this between you and me."

I was offended. Why should he decide if I should tell anyone else?

"What if it gets worse?" I asked. There was a slight lacing of anger in my tone.

"If it gets worse you tell me." Josh's voice hardened and his green eyes darkened.

"And what would you do about it?!" Anger coursed through me. I don't know why this was getting on my nerves so much, I just know that it is. Extremely.

Josh's eyes immediately softened at my outburst. He sighed and ran his hand through his hair.

"I'm sorry for causing you to get mad. Truthfully, I don't know what I would do." Josh apologized, sincerity lacing his voice. He seemed to want to tell me something else, but something behind me stopped him. I turned around to see what he was looking at.

Ashton and his friends were walking into the gym, with one exception. Ashton had stopped, and was staring right at us. He looked angry at the pair of us talking. Ashton stared directly at Josh, ignoring me, and then turned and walked into the gym.

I snorted, "What's his deal?"

"No idea."

After Ashton had walked into the gym, Josh said goodbye and headed to his class. I walked into the gym and to the girls locker room. Katherine was already there, still gushing about Romeo.

"You know he's like probably thirty or something now. That movie came out, I think, in the nineteen-eighties. He's old now." I said as I got to my locker.

"Thanks for crushing my dreams." Katherine snorted.

I shrugged, "Just telling the truth."

Katherine stuck out her tongue at me. I chuckled and got unchanged to get into my gym clothes.

About five minutes later, Katherine and I had left the locker room and our fifteen minute run had commenced. We didn't talk during it, for fear of being yelled at by Mr. Guy who said he was 'enforcing our exercise' by making us not talk.

Katherine flipped him off as many chances as she got behind his back. I could tell she hated running almost as much as she hated not being allowed to talk.

Our run ended and Mr. Guy decided it was a good idea to play kickball. He split us up into teams, and luckily Katherine and I were together.

The class played until it was time to get changed back into school clothes. Our team had lost substantially, by eleven points. However, it seemed unfair because the other team had Ashton and all his friends, though I have no idea how all of them got on the same team.

At the final bell, I said goodbye to Katherine, but not before she took my phone and proceeded to put her number into it.

I walked out of the school, not seeing Josh anywhere. I couldn't continue my search as I saw my mom pull up. I didn't want to risk that embarrassment. I slid into the car and she took off towards the house.

"How was school?" She asked a little too cheerfully.

"Fine." I answered in a monotone voice.

"Did you see your date?" She asked, her cheerfulness rising.

"You mean Josh?" I sighed, knowing that this was going to be the only discussion topic.

"Yes!"

"Of course I saw him. This is school." I answered, irritation clear in my voice.

"What did he say?" Apparently not clear enough.

"It was school. Not another date." I almost shouted. She had no idea how much she was irritating me.

"Fine. You don't have to tell me." She said smugly. I sighed and leaned my head against the window, looking at the passing green forests.

A/N: I AM SO SORRY!!! I know, there's no excuse for me being two weeks late. But I do have one (sorry but it's pretty logical). School sucks, doesn't it? School has been hounding me lately. It's been leaving me extremely tired and not in a mood to write. Also, writers block seems to have hit me. It likes to hit at random intervals, but I usually get through it. Again, so sorry!!!!! Also, IMPORTANT: To those of you who have been trying to inbox me. My inbox is never opening so I can't read anything that people inbox me. I don't know if it's Wattpad or my Wi-Fi or something. So as of now, I can't read any inboxes. Again, so, so, so sorry for the inexcusable wait. Thank you everyone!!!!!!