Chapter 7. La Fonda de Doña Martina

It's past noon when we finally make it back tae Inverness.

"Want to eat something?" Hiro asks me as he pulls up in front of my home.

"Do you?" I return the question.

"I'm starving!" He exclaims. Fair enough I think. I did wake up early this morning, and had breakfast as my brother's inn, but he didn't.

"Wha' do you think of Mexican food?" I ask, smiling.

"I've heard it's spicy." He makes a face.

"You haven't tried it, have you?" He shakes his head no. "I know of a place, we could go there. I doona feel like cooking right now."

***

I smile encouragingly at him when the car stops in front of the little restaurant. It use to be a residence, and the back still is, but the front has been painted white with brown lining on the door and windows. On top of the door, a large sign reads La Doña in green white and red.

"It's here, love."

"Just remind me, why are we here again?" He asks, looking warily at the building.

"Because you're hungry" I answer "and I like this place."

I step out of the car before he has a chance to reply. the restaurant is the same as the last time I came. Decorated simply, in a way the owner once told me is common in her home country.

"Sauce!" The man at the register greets, I look at him. Short, curly dark hair and dark coloured eyes over slightly tan skin, Vicente has not changed at all since the last time I saw him. "¿Mesa para uno?" He asks smiling.

"Hoy no, Vicente." I point at my red haired companion.

"Órale." His smile broadens. "Welcome to La Doña."

"You know him?" Hiro asks me quietly as Vicente shows us to a table by a window.

"Used tae be a regular." I shrug.

"¡Mamá!" Vicente calls out tae the back. "¡Ven a ver quién está aquí!"

"¡Ay voy, M'ijo!" A woman's voice answers.

"I can't believe it." My guest says "when Tsuki-chan told me you lived in the out of the city, I never thought you would know this many people."

"I've still got a life of my own, you know." I answer, he smiles at me. "I'm sure the owner will like you."

"The owner?"

"¡M'ija!" I hear the woman exclaim, I look at her, smiling. Short in height, her long, dark hair pulled back in a tight bun, her hazel coloured eyes shining cheerfully, and a bright smile on her face as she hurries to greet us. "¡Cuánto tiempo! ¿Qué haces por aquí?"

"I've got a guest at home" I say "I just had tae bring him tae the best restaurant in town, Doña Martina."

She finally looks at my companion, her fists at her fists as she examines him. Hiro appears to cower under her scrutiny as Doña Martina spouts critics on his looks and how she thinks he is, in Spanish.

"... Anyway, guapo. Welcome to La Doña, and please, ask if you need anything." She says, smiling brightly. "Any friend of our Saucecito is always welcome here."

"Thank you, madam." He answers unable to take his eyes off the mantelpiece.

"Nada de madam. Mar-ti-na." The lady replies. "Or follow your girlfriend's example, she's spent a long time with us."