Chapter Nine: Birds of a Feather

Dick whistled absently, wandering down the hallways. He wanted a scene, but what could he do to get as much attention as possible? He supposed the best way to cause a riot is to go to his old friend who still thinks he is dead. If he remembered correctly, Connor was still living here at Mount Justice, and hated his current identities guts. Right..this was not the right idea. he turned his heels and turned the other direction to head back to his little birds, only to be stopped by a blonde archer when he came into view. "Oh, hello Arty." Glances over to a nervous pair of birds glancing behind her. He gave them a reassuring smile before returning to the archer. "I take it your spar went well--"

"Cut the crap Shadow." Artemis scowled "You said something before you left and I want an explanation, now."

Dick rose his hands up in defense, but gives a smirk. "Whatever do you mean?" He leaned in slightly, speaking in a low voice. "You are not being very traught young Mockingbird, you are going to cause a scene." He grinned at the wide eyes of his former team mate.

"Rob--"

Dick quickly put his finger to her lips. "Uh uh uh, I no longer go by that name. Besides, the little bird over there has taken it up..He is doing a relatively good job at it and I would hate to steal it back from him." Dick waved absently and if on cue Drake was by his side protectively. "Oh, no worries, it is not like I am in danger. Arty would not shoot such a good friend."

"But--" Tim started up but stopped when Dick rose his hand again. He sighed heavily, knowing that Dick was back to his antics. Was the original boy wonder always this mischievous? He scowled as Damian stood next to him, the demon giving a warning glare in his direction. Who did that brat think he was? Just because he is actually Bruce's son, does not mean that he gets whatever he wants.

"I will take that spot from him, I am more qualified." Damian announced to get Dick's attention, apparently not liking the fact that Drake got a compliment from his mentor. He gripped onto Dick's arm protectively.

Artemis frowned at the sight in front of her, not sure why the two boys were clinging to the assassin she found out to be the ringleader she thought was dead. That's right, he was alive and is walking around like it is no big deal. "Why haven't you told anyone!" She hissed, fists clenching. "We grieved for you and here you are--"

"Hey now, I plan on telling everyone, just afraid of well..this." Dick motioned to her clenched fists. "I don't want to be surrounded by angry superpowered teens who..oh great.." Dick took a step to the side as a yellow blur zoomed passed him and to Artemis'' side. Dick sighed a bit at the glare on the red head's face. "Wallace..good as always to see you."

"Art, is this guy bugging you? I can kick his butt out of here and I am sure Supes would take part in it too." He spat out, not taking his eyes off of Dick. "So it is true Rob? You are siding with this villain? this killer!?"

"I would like to point out that the original Robin was also an assassin." Dick quipped, earning an elbow to the side from the present Robin. "Ow" He laughs slightly "Hey, it is true."

"Wally you do not understand the situation" Drake tried to defuse the rising tension, he did not want to bring attention and get more people involved.

"I understand that you are putting that name to shame!" Wally blurted out, but was cut off by Dick slamming him against the wall, earning a gasp in shock from everyone around them.

"You know, I used to be a pretty patient guy.. I really was. Unfortunately, I have taken a liking to the bird you are insulting and I suggest you hold your tongue and listen before I pull it out for you, which I am sure Artemis would enjoy." He let go of the gasping speedster before glancing in Artemis' direction. "This is why I can't come back. Not as I once was. You can either keep your mouth shut and follow my lead, or cause mass destruction with this time bomb of a secret you now hold."

"What is he talking about!?" Wally coughed out, rubbing his throat. "Artemis would never follow you..you-"

"Wally. Shut up," Artemis snapped at. "Robin is right, you do not understand the situation. " She glanced in Dick's direction, who gave a slight nod. "He is alive Wally, and you just threatened him"

"Uh, hello? Who is alive? I dont understand what is going on!" Wally groaned, getting the uneasy feeling that he has missed something extremely important.

Dick grinned and walked over, patting his shoulder. "Never one to really think things through, were you Hummingbird? I do have to admit though, I am rather disappointed that you didn't keep your hair pink." He heard a small laugh escape Artemis' mouth, and he smiled at that. At least he broke the ice with someone today, that's a good sign.

"Pink...? Hummingbird...?" Wally furrowed his brow, looking puzzled. The only person who would say that is...he is alive is what Artemis said..alive meaning...he looked up " No way..NO WAY!"

Dick grinned. "Missed you too feather brain"

------

Jason walked to the living area of mount justice, he was worried that the Shadow was going to cause some mass chaos. He expected fire and wholes in the walls due to battle, what he did not expect is a group of five gathering around the couch chatting like old pals. Once again, what alternate universe did he just step in? Dick looked up and waved slightly before turning and frowning at something one of the others had said. Jason stepped closer to get into earshot of the conversation, which no one else seemed to notice his entrance other than Shadow.

"You need to tell the others ro-- I mean Shadow." Wally was urging, trying to sound hopeful but looked slightly frightened.

"If I do that, I might have to leave...when I first told Robin, I was figuring he would spill the beans right away..but since he hasn't I have had time to think about it..and I am second guessing my choices more than ever. "Things will not return to the way they are. I have done things that even in my past, I would have never done." Dick looked at them seriously. "I wanted to make all of you suffer, to cause you pain. Even after I got over that, my reckless decisions could put all of you in danger. " He sighed and rubbed his temples. Matter of fact, he was trying to make a big production of his resurrection like a child earlier today. If he did not stop when he did, he would have surely caused more trouble than he needed. He still needed to keep Damian safe, and as a previous hero, it would be difficult to do so. He could not return to his old ways and get everyone in trouble, it will end up just like the circus. "I need to remain a Shadow. If the league catches wind that I even thought about running again, you would all be in danger again."

Artemis put a hand on Dick's shoulder. "What happened before should not of happened. But if for one second you think about running from US again, we will be the ones hunting you down and bringing you back to where you belong."

Dick let out a slight snort "Well that is reassuring."

"Shadow or not, we are going to protect you this time." Wally agreed. "Now that I know that you are alive--oh no..I'm guessing you have not told the Bat yet. Man, that is gonna be a time and place where you will not find me."

Jason stepped into view, ignoring the startled and surprised faces of the members of the conversation, all except Shadow, who has known he was there the whole time. "Tell the Bat what?"

-----------

A/N

Wow it is just raining updates today, huh?

Guess today is your lucky day, or not.

hahaha yeah I have a cliff hanger problem.. But hey, no regrets.

~Ringleader_Robin

(Kit)