Chapter Thirteen: Emotions

Dick groaned as he came too, though he soon regretted making any noise at all as his throat felt like someone was stabbing it with a knife. He winced before glancing around, realizing he was in the medical bay. Memories of before he blacked out flooded back to him soon after, and Dick let out a silent sigh of relief to know that he survived that incident. He really needed to stop this habit of getting into situations that rendered him unconscious, it was killing his head. However, he honestly did not expect the usually level headed Bruce to go at him like that. Talk about things escalating as quickly as possible.

"I see you are awake Dick..." A voice commented and Dick turned his head to see Bruce standing now next to his bed. Well, it seems his streak of bad luck continued, but he was not at his throat, meaning either he was dreaming or that his old mentor finally believed that he was the real deal.

Dick wanted to ask why Bruce believed, but he was pretty sure that his vocal cords were far too strained to let out any noise no matter how much he tried thanks to the man standing beside his bed. He gave a slight glare but then relaxed, knowing that there was no point in starting any kind of argument, the forced silent treatment that he had to give was enough as it is.

Bruce frowned a bit under his cowl, pulling up a chair and sitting next to his injured son. "I should have known it was you, the similarities were obvious..." Yet he was still blinded by anger and grief. And now the first Robin was laying in bed with a damaged throat just because he let anger guide him in the situation. He should have listened to the explanation before going too far. He watched as Dick sat up, rubbing his throat but giving a slight smile, one he had not thought he would see again.

The doors to the Med bay soon opened, revealing the Stoic face of Superboy, who was staring at right past the Caped Crusader and right to Dick. He could not believe what he saw, and what more he can't understand, Is why he was one of the last people to know?

Dick flinched as he saw Connor enter the room, his heart dropped to his stomach. He opened his mouth to give an explanation, but all that came out was forced air and a sever wave of pain. Dick's hands quickly went to his throat, rubbing it as if it would help with the pain...but it did not. He glanced back over to Connor And Bruce, both now sharing a look of concern at the newly reaquainted bird. Dick held up a hand to show he was alright, though the twisted facial expressions told them otherwise.

"It will be awhile before you can speak again..." Batman frowned , trying to hide the guilt he had felt. Guilt or not, he needed to remain stoic in front of others that may be watching. He already messed that up once today.

"And Whose fault is that?" Connor asked bitterly, walking to his friend's side. It all made sense now, the confidence, the words the other spoke before he got fell unconscious from being electrocuted...He was Dick Grayson. "You said that you were dead." He noted, knowing the other couldn't speak. "You said what was dead stays dead...but you are right here." Connor clenched his fists, trying to get a hold of his mixed emotions. He was furious with the other for not telling him sooner, but at the same time, he was almost euphoric. He had gotten his friend back, the one he thought that he would never have a chance to talk to again. But then anger resurfaced as he remembered the letter that the other hand wrote, the one that distracted him from catching his friend from his falling death. It took all the energy in his being not to punch Dick for that. He grit his teeth as the pent up emotions increased with the flashbacks of seeing Dick in a puddle of his own blood. "You'd rather die than ask for help, do you know what grief you caused?" His voice struggled to remain even. "You idiot!"

Dick flinched at the words. He had been expecting them, but it didn't mean that it did not hurt him more than he calculated. Connor might as well stab him with a rusted blade. What's even worse, he could not speak up and apologize, he had to take this in silence.

"Superboy.." Batman tried to warn but was cut off again by shouting this time.

"You left all of us thinking that it was our fault that we couldn't save you!" Connor's voice rose "If I was there to catch you, if you told us that you were being threatened.. You would rather take the fall than even risk others around you to get hurt!" Connor shook his head. "Even When I punched you, you did not fight back, you did not fight back when Batman was choking you! For once could you think about yourself Dick!?" Connor slammed his hand on the nightstand next to the bed, and it splintered into pieces. He tooks a few forced deep breaths, glancing at Dick whose face remained deathly calm during his outburst. Just like his mentor, guess things didn't change as much as he thought. "You did not think once about how your selfless act would hurt the other's around you. You are so eager to save everyone but yourself that you would head into danger without a second thought of self preservation. Your kindness literally was the Death of you..What happened to you?"

"Now that is a question I can agree on." Batman nodded, glancing over to Dick before handing him a notepad and pen. "Better get answering."