Chapter Fifteen: Alfred

Dick could not remember how long he sat in the medical bay. It could have been hours, it could have been days– everything just blurred together. Many visitors came however, that he was grateful for. Mostly when it was Connor. Sure he could not speak and more often than not it was just awkward silence— but he was glad none the less. It felt like things were slowly returning to how they were before. That made him beyond happy. When he was released from the medical bay, the first thing he did was go and visit Damian, who was not allowed in the medical bay. He was not sure why, but Bruce demanded that Damian was not allowed anywhere near Mount Justice while he was recovering. To say Damian was eager to see him back at the cave was an understatement. He could be wrong, but he could of sworn the other ran over with a smile on his face. Damian skidded to a stop,composing himself before speaking.

"Father said you needed your rest and that I could not visit with you." Damian's face twisted into a frown. It looks like he did not know the real reason he was not allowed to see him.

Dick frowned as well. Bruce was hiding something, per usual it seems. He walked over to the child and ruffles his hair, a smile gracing his face. " H....here now." He winced as he spoke, his throat feeling like it was rubbed raw with sandpaper. He was going to have to take the speaking thing slower than he thought, not that whelming of a thought but it was for the best. He glanced through the cave wondering if the rest of the birds were here. It was shockingly quiet. Dick sighed, they must be busy. He readjusted his sunglasses on his face before motioning Damian to follow him. What could have the others so busy? Later he will investigate, but right now he was starving and planned to go upstairs.

It would be the first time he would be up there after his death. And Bruce, before he knew his real identity, straight out demanded he went nowhere near the manor. Dick did not know what to expect, but it looked like absolutely the same as he remembered. He smiled slightly at that. Glancing up at the chandelier, who was missing a certain 'ghost' hanging from it. Boy, Bruce was so mad. He let his thoughts trail off into the past, reminiscing over the whole thing until he heard a throat be cleared. Dick jumped and turned to see a familiar British butler standing at the doorway. He felt his heart sink. Alfred was like a grandfather to him, he forgot about how the other must have felt at his passing.

Damian huffed slightly " Pennyworth." He folded his arms glancing back up at Dick with a questioning glance. " Are you going to insist on standing there like a statue, Grayson?"

Dick flinched a bit hearing his last name. Surely Alfred heard the news about him returning. The butler always had an act for knowing things before everyone else. He might not have seen Dick in the cave, but he had a feeling the crafty butler knew the whole time. Alfred Pennyworth was definitely a force to be reckoned with. Dick gave an awkward smile and wave, feeling like an idiot, but even if he could speak, he knew he would choke on words.

"Master Dick." Pennyworth greeted, a hint of a smile tugging at the corner of the old butler's face. " I see you have finally decided to grace us with your presence."

Dick's face reddened a bit, giving a meek nod before finding a sudden interest in the ground at his feet.

"I take it that you are hungry. I will prepare lunch for you and young master Damian."

Dick nodded, feeling stupid at the fact that nodding was all he could do. "Sc..screw this." Dick coughed and rushed over, hugging Alfred tightly , almost knocking the butler over.

Alfred sighed and hugged the teen back like nothing had changed and it was a normal occurrence. " Welcome back master Dick. It is good to have you back home."
----
A/N
Hey sorry about the short chapter! But hey at least I updated