NiJyuu-Go ~ Too little, too late?

25- Too little, too late?

- - - - - -

Sasuke wanted to take a step closer to Karin and punch the living hell out of her, but he knew that if he did so, he would get into serious trouble. Instead, he had to stop himself before he lost control. The way he felt when he found out the truth didn't help at all; it was almost impossible for him keep himself from losing his mind.

As an alternative, he basically spat out anything that came to mind. Sasuke glared at the redhead, who was already shaking in fear of what he was going to do. "I can't believe I fell for you and your sh*t."

Karin was at a loss of words.

He clenched his fist and finally moved. Sasuke took a step closer, but before he could even think about swinging at her, Suigetsu quickly held him back, causing him to huff. "Why aren't you speaking up now? You didn't seem to have a problem with talking loads of sh*t before!"

Suigetsu sighed upon hearing the whispers of the crowd around them. He turns Sasuke around to face him, giving him a stern look. "You can deal with Karin later on, alright? Right now's the time to ask Sayuri for her forgiveness because I heard from Ino and Sakura that Kiba might make his move tonight."

At that same moment, the DJ of the dance decided to change the song. The bad part? It was a song people slow-danced to.

"Are you kidding me?" Sasuke scoffed. He looks among the crowd of students for a familiar face. "Do you know where they are?"

Suigetsu shrugged. "I remembered seeing them in the other side of the room."

Sasuke wasn't able to react to that statement. Someone had interrupted him before he could have his say. "Oh snap! Nakahara and Inuzuka are about to kiss!"

And that was when Sasuke's sadness began taking over.

He remembered shouting a simple 'no' before pushing through the crowd over to where people were looking, expecting to see Sayuri and Kiba at that same spot.

~*~

Somehow, I felt as if there were tension in the air. I had a feeling that something was about to happen. At that thought, my smile soon began to falter as the song finished. It came up to the point where I was sure that my faltered smile was obvious. I hope the lights in the venue will keep Kiba from noticing.

Then, the weirdest thing happened. Everyone kept on dancing while the music slowly started fading, but the next song wasn't what we expected to play. I immediately froze when I heard something that sounded like a love song blasting through the speakers.

This was definitely uncalled for.

I wanted to yell at the DJ of the dance for putting this song on. It would only make things between Kiba and I even more awkward. I sighed to myself. Well, it's happening right now. I guess I can only let nature take its course from here on.

When I turned to face Kiba, I could tell right away that he was just as shocked about the whole situation as I was. I slightly pouted as I looked up at him, waiting for him to make the first move. After a few seconds, I started getting impatient. Kiba was so hesitant on asking me to dance with him now, which didn't make sense to me because he had no problem on doing so when we arrived. Eh, maybe it's the vibe of this moment that's shocking him.

Not wanting to wait any longer, I finally had the courage to step closer to him so we were about a few centimeters away from making direct contact. His eyes instantly widen as soon as I wrapped my arms around his neck and smiled up at him. It took him only three seconds to realize that this was really happening. He shook his head, getting back to reality. As the lights dimmed slightly, he lays his hands on my waist.

We both move along the beats of the song. My head was laid on his right shoulder as I could no longer look at him without feeling slightly weirded out by this. It's not that I didn't want to dance with him... in fact, I was enjoying it.

Then, a thought came to me. 'It's the perfect time to show him how thankful I was for everything he did for me...' I lifted my head off of his shoulder and watched as he looked back at me with a curious expression.

"Something wrong, Sayuri?" He asked in a soft tone.

I shook my head. "Of course not, Kiba," I laughed, looking down for a moment before I met his gaze again. "I just realized that... I never got to give you my thanks for helping me get over Sasuke."

He lets out a chuckle in response. "You kinda... already did a few months ago--"

"I meant a proper thank you."

At that point, we stopped moving. Kiba looked at me, stunned of what I had just told him. I think he might have caught on what I meant by a "proper thank you," because right now, he looked at me with such want... such need. We weren't able to carry on with what we were about to do. I figured that someone was watching us the whole time because at that time, someone had already shouted out, "Oh snap! Nakahara and Inuzuka are about to kiss!"

And then another shout.

"No!"

At that remark, I snapped my head to the direction of the voice. That voice was way too familiar. Almost as if it were from a certain Uchiha, but I didn't want to jump to conclusions. Probably from the other side of the building that was illuminated with light that was in so many different colors. I noticed that many of the students' heads were turned at the same direction I looked at. Some were whispering to each other, wondering "what that guy's problem was." I decided to not let myself mind a situation that was most likely none of my business. I turned my head back to face Kiba, who was now already inches away from my face. I widened my eyes in shock.

"Sayuri!"

I was wrong. I guess it did involve me. That call was only a faint whisper to me though, as I was focused on what Kiba was doing right now. He looked serious. I could tell that he wanted to get this over with before that person could butt in.

And almost right away, he started leaning in.

A few heads turned to me, and saw what Kiba was attempting to do. Let that include Ino and Sakura. They were stunned alright. A few gasps erupted from the crowd as their heads turned back to the other direction: where the voice was coming from.

He was literally a centimeter away from brushing his lips against mine when I saw from the corner of my eyes that the students were being pushed out of the way. Kiba was only able to give me a peck on the lips before he was pushed away by a pale hand.

That pale hand belonged to none other than Sasuke Uchiha. And boy, did he look heartbroken.

I widened my eyes at what had just happened a few seconds earlier. Before Kiba and I could actually kiss, Sasuke decided to stop him from doing so. What was his reason? Did he not want me being happy with someone else? Did he do this because he was my rival? I didn't see how the second one could work; he looked pretty hurt right now.

Then what?

"Sayuri," his cracking voice startled me. As I snapped back into reality, I noticed him taking a few steps closer to me. He was about a few inches away from me, as I was already looking up at him and his broken form. "I-I'm sorry... for not trusting you... for hurting you... and for ever doubting your faithfulness while we were together."

I blinked a few times. Letting out a breath, I say in a low tone. "Sasuke..."

"Take me back..." It shocked me. His voice made him sound as if he were pleading... as if he was actually begging me to accept his request. I looked down at my feet, shutting my eyes tightly to avoid any unwanted tears, which I knew were already building up in my eyes. As I took a deep breath, I hear him say one more thing. "I love you, Sayuri."

That's where all of my confusion sets in.