ChapteЯ 14: Artificial Hipsters

~~~

CLINT’S P.O.V.

“Date?!” I choked. 

Ly-a snapped around with worry.  I quickly pounded my chest, coughing again.  “Sorry.”  I raised my hand and turned away.  “Something in my throat.”  I threw up the earlier Subway over Jeff’s fancy shoes.  Okay.  I wish I did.  What really happened was revolting.

“I just have to give the okay to Steve and he said he’ll take us there,” Jeff said, sneaking a smug grin at me. 

She knitted her brows and pursed her lips.  “Steve?”

“We’ll be going to the fair on a horse ride.  You know, a stroll under the stars, nice summer breeze and”—he blushed—“other stuff. . .” 

You think there was a chance I could still hurl chunks at him.  Green—kiwi would go great on his cocky face. 

“Jeff . . .” Her gaze moved to the other room.  “That sounds really sweet . . .”

He snapped his fingers.  “And it’ll even help you with the Bel Air Beauty competition.  I heard you’re running for that.  Your entrance would totally blow those fake dimwits,” he said. 

“True . . .” 

“Not all Bel Air people are fake,” I retorted. 

“Please.  Clint.”  He jabbed his thumb to his chest.  “I’ve grown up with pricks all my life and I know how to get under their skin.  Surprises.”  He gently punched Ly-a who seemed to be in deep thought.  “Don’t you agree?  Everything is so fake at Bel Air.  The kids, the teachers—the noses.” 

Ly-a didn’t respond for a moment, but grew a small smile for Jeff.  “It’s a wonderful offer.  You think you could give me some time about it?  I’ll call you later, if that’s alright.” 

He took her small hand and pecked a soft kiss.  My knuckles tightened.  “Sure thing,” he whispered before lifting his head. 

“You don’t even have his number,” I managed to say without jumping in the air, screaming some Japanese word, and slicing his head off with a fire ball.

Ly-a stood up and I quickly did the same, Jeff not a second behind.  “I got it a while back,” she said, giving me a small smile as well.   

Jeff brushed past me, hiding a sharp nudge.  “Next thing you know, she’ll have my housenumber,” he murmured so I could only hear.

I grabbed a fistful of his shirt, but quickly let go once Ly-a turned. 

“It was nice meeting you, Ms. Monroe!” called Jeff, giving a two-fingered salute. 

“You too, dear!” she answered with a cheeky smile.

“I’ll walk you out,” I said to Jeff, stepping on the back of his heels.  He shot a glare over his shoulder. 

“You should be heading out too, Clint.  You’re making a mess in our house!” hollered Ms. Monroe. 

Jeff snorted.  “Come on, Clint.  You know better than to make a mess in someone’s house,” he said quietly. 

“I’m going to deal with you outside,” I muttered in his ear, before giving Ly-a my sexy smile.  

“I’ll guide you guys to the driveway,” Ly-a said.  I was about to object, but Ms. Monroe called her back.  She rolled her eyes, and I laughed.  “I guess I’ll see you all later!”  She turned around, her wet shoes squeaking on the tiles.