Chapter 6.5: I'm a poodle

“Shut the hell up!” I retorted and switched back to Driz.  Caressing her hand in a friendly gesture, I gulped back a fake tear just to look sympathetic and weakly smiled.  “Trevor is gay.”  I collected my own sharp breath and continued, “It’s not because you’re ugly, stupid or disgustingly hideous.  People just love differently than others and get attracted to . . . different others.  I know this may be hard to take in, but I’m here for you.” 

Her hand was brought to her chest and she turned away.  Staring at her for a moment, I was about to talk until she shook her head.  “I-I-I think I need some time alone.”

Nodding, I quickly got up and opened the door.  “I’m here for you, Driz,” I smiled.  She slowly nodded and walked me up to the door, her head down. 

Clint on the other hand, not a bit showing any sympathy, cleared his throat again, and kept widening his eyes.  “Ly-a!

I went up on my tip toes and grabbed his collar, yanking him behind me.  Giving a deathly ‘If-you-don’t-shut-up-I’ll-kill-you’ look, I turned back to Driz and slowly began to close the door.  “Alright.  I’ll give you some time.”  She wiped her nose across her sleeve and nodded. 

Leaving her with a faint smile, I closed the door and quietly walked out of her house.  Clint hot on my feet, he quickly caught up once I hit the sidewalk.  “But Ly-a!” he sputtered.   

“Couldn’t you tell I was having a serious moment with my friend?” I hotly snapped, walking towards home. 

“Couldn’t you tell how I was doing ‘this’!”  He bulged his eyes out again and kept flicking them to the right. 

“No I couldn’t tell.  Along with your little stripper routine you did as I was telling my best friend her boyfriend was gay, it was kind of hard to connect everything at the same time.” 

He scratched the back of his neck and blew a long sigh.  “Ly-a, you know how you told Driz her boyfriend was in the closet?”

I picked at the metal clutch on the purse, angrily snapping it on and off.  “Yeah?”

“Well. . . There was actually a guy in the closet.”

“What?!” I screamed, stopping in my tracks.  “Did he have a knife?! Ohmigod!  We left Drizzy alone in house with a psychopath!  What was I thinking?!”  About to run back, Clint quickly grabbed my hand, not letting me go anywhere. 

“No, Ly-a.  He had the same guilty look Driz had when you told her that her boyfriend was in the closet.”

“So what are you trying to say?” I asked, this still a little too confusing.

He shoved his hands in his navy golf shorts and rocked himself on the balls of his feet.  “I’m assuming Driz’s boyfriend was in the closet.”

I rolled my eyes and puffed out an ‘I-know-that’ look.  “Yes, Clint.  Trevor is gay.  We figured that out already.”

He looked up and gave me a weak smile.  “I think she knew he was gay.”

I gave him a sceptical look.  “What do you mean?”

“I think Driz is dating someone else, and told you she was dating Trevor instead,” he admitted. 

“I think?  You think?”

“Okay.  I know.  Jeff was in her closet.  He was upstairs when we were over at her house.”

“As in the football captain of Uni?” I exclaimed, more shocked than when my mom told me Santa wasn’t real. 

“The one and only,” he answered.