Chapter 23: What Not To Wear

YouTube “Monster remix by Becky G ft.will.i.am” <<I’m thinking this could be the theme song for LSIBA.  What do you think?

Only one person has entered the One Shot LSIBA contest!  All you have to do is post a comment why you love LSIBA on my message board or you can PM me. 

It's that simple! :)

Not edited.  I will when the book is finished. 

Chapter 23: What Not To Wear  (I love that show ;P)

“C’mon, hun!”  My mom waved.  “I want to show you something!”

I crossed my fingers.  “Please don’t be a new striper boyfriend.  Please don’t be a new striper boyfriend.” 

“I hope you didn’t buy a dress!” my mom hollered, her usual bitter voice too sweet for my liking. 

Driz and I exchanged weird looks.  “That’s the first,” I told her.   

We reached my mother in the living room, the forty-six year old woman sitting eagerly on the couch.  “Unfortunately, Ms. Monroe, Ly-a just couldn’t find the perfect one,” explained Driz. 

“That’s good news!” she clapped. 

Then I noticed the white box. 

Mom,” I warned, taking a physical step back. 

She laughed and reached up to pinch my cheek.  “You’re so cute, dear.  My surprises aren’t always bad.” 

“Yes they are,” I quickly shot. 

She shook her head.  “No, no.  You’ll like this one.  I promise.”  Not letting any denial slip past my lips, she lifted the box and continued.  “I know this ball is very special for both of us.  It gets me emotional how”—she began to get teary—“h-how you’re growing up so fast and how you’re starting to become”—she gulped—“a-a young beautiful lady.  Then I realized we had to do this as a Monroe tradition.  Your great grandma had passed this down to your grandma, passing it down to me, and now I’m passing this down to you.  I hope you’ll wear this dress.” 

She bit her lip and fanned her glossy eyes.  “I-It was my wedding dress.  I want you to wear it for the family.  It’ll make your great grandma, my mom and I very proud.”  She handed it over.  “I just know you’ll adore it.  When my mom first handed it to me, I swear it was love at first sight.”

Staring down at the box, I gave a nervous glance to Driz.  She ushered me to open it and I slowly unravelled the ribbon.  Here goes nothing.  I held my breath and took off the lid.

It was hideous. 

My eyes trailed along the poufy shoulders you would see in the 18th century, revolting lacy trims and ribbons that made it look like a wedding cake, and a horrendous bow that was twice the size of the dress on the front.