[10] Chris the Janitor

You had fun over all but soon is was too late to keep bowling. You all said goodbye to each other and went home. You felt Vincent staring at you from behind as you walked away. You didn't look back but you knew he was smiling that creepy smile of his.

You were exhausted when you reached your house near 9:00 p.m. and plop on your bed.

You fall asleep as soon as your head hit the pillow.

You wake up thirty minutes later. Then you get an idea. You decide to go to Freddy's! After all, you've never seen it during the day and you had been wanting to see the animatronics perform.

You smile at the thought of visiting such an innocent and childish place. It seemed so kid-friendly... but only you and the night guards knew what it was like during the night.

Your smile fades as the thought of what happened to Vincent on your first night crosses your mind.

You shake your head and tell your parents you're going to work early. Then you start your walk to the pizzeria.

✿ ✿ ✿

You step into the restaurant and are greeted by loud kids music, kids laughing, screaming and some throwing tantrums.

You keep walking until you arrive at the party room and see the animatronics on the stage. You smile, cross your arms and lean on the wall as you see them perform.

They sang and joked. Terrible songs and horrible jokes (maybe even worse than Mike's puns) but the kids seemed to love it. You just smile in pity.

Fifteen minutes later, the place was almost empty since it was closing time. You turn to run to the office but as you turned in a corner, you bump into someone and slip on... water? You fall back but regain your balance just in time.

"I'm sorry!" Spoke a voice. You see a teen with a mop and a bucket. They must be the janitor.

"It's ok, I should've seen where I was going." You look at the teen with blond spiky hair and a few piercings on their lips and ears, they must be around your age. You read their name tag and smile. They were smiling back in relief, glad that you were ok. "You must be Crystal," you say looking up from the name tag. "You're a janitor here right?"

The teen's smile faded and frowned.
They looked down and scratched the back of their neck. "It's Chris, I'm a boy... Boss doesn't let me change my name tag..."

You realize you just misgendered him and gasp lightly. "I'm so sorry! I should've asked first!"

"It's ok! I'm used to it by now." He gave a fake smile, clearly a little upset.

"I promise it won't happen again, Chris!" You were incredibly embarrassed at what you did.

He then freezes for a second and smiles a real smile, appreciating you using his correct name. "Heh, thanks for not being like Boss. He thinks I shouldn't be a boy since I have a... y'know..."

You nod. "Yeah, I understand." You change the subject. "Why do you work here? This place is a dump." You say as you eye the walls with scribbles, dried liquids and poorly drawn pictures of the animatronics made by kids with disgust.

"I want to save money to pay my college loans." He says shrugging. "I don't mind this place that much anyways. My shift ends in a few minutes, shouldn't you be home already?"

"I... I actually work here too."

Chris's eyes widen. "You?! But you don't look like someone who should work here."

You smile a little at the compliment. "I'm kinda desperate."

You both remain silent for a while until you hear a light beeping. Chris jumps a little and lifts his sleeve to reveal a watch. "Aw, yeah! My shift is over! Well, see you later-um... What's your name?"

You mentally facepalm yourself. You didn't even tell him your name! You giggle awkwardly. "I'm (y/n)."

"That's a pretty name." He casually says as he picks up his supplies and leaves them in the closet.

"Thanks. I like your name, too!"

He smiles sweetly. "Yeah, I like it, too." He glances at his name tag and sighs sadly. "I hope one day Boss will give me an accurate name tag and accept me for who I am. But I don't blame the old man, he's been through a lot of stress. It's hard to keep his business going and much less an open mind."

You nod again in agreement. "I'm sure one day you'll get everything you want Chris."

"Thanks (y/n)! Same to you." He took off his apron and hanged it in the closet.

A piece of paper falls out but he didn't seem to notice since he was already walking towards the doors.

You pick it up and unfold it. It was a drawing of a robot with an old fashioned pilot outfit. You where surprised at how well done it was. You look up and see Chris almost at the door. "Chris! Wait up! You forgot something! You run towards him and stretch out your hand with the drawing.

"Oh! Thanks (y/n)!"

"Who is that?" You asked.

"He's Pilot, I want to be an animator and have my own cartoon series some day."

"Cool! You can sure draw, dude, I'm sure you'll make it!"

"Thanks!" He smiles widely and looks at his drawing before carefully putting it in his pocket.

He waves goodbye as he opens the door and runs outside.

As soon as he is out of sight you walk towards the office and check your phone. 10:15 p.m.

You sigh and go change into your uniform in the bathroom.

Once you're done you sit on the office chair and check your phone again. This time you check YouTube and watch Markiplier's videos until 10:45.

You hear footsteps come towards the office. Vincent? Nah, too heavy and too many to be Vincent's. So then, who's there? Animatronics shouldn't move until 12:00. Who is it?