Love and War

CHAPTER 11

"Home sweet home!" Nidhi pushed the doors and happily entered but stopped in her tracks suddenly.

"Yeah!" Mayank chuckled and when he reached next to her, he too froze.

"What the hell is your problem? Why do you stick to my boy like a parasite???" His mother yelled, who was sitting on the sofa.

Both were dumbstruck on the doorsteps when they saw Mayank's parents and His mother yelling.

"Mom, calm down. What are you doing here? What are you talking about?" He tried to reason.

"This is my son's house, I can come and go as I please! And this girl! This girl is always near you and where is Sneha, huh? We are a respected family! What will people think? That you are having an affair just after you got married."

"Sara--" Mayank's father tried to reason.

"Don't! Tell me?? What do you want? It's not about money because Avinash is well to do himself. You want to use my son, isn't it? You want to take advantage of him being naive?? Answer me!" His mother shouted towards Nidhi, who shivered and stared down. She was scared but couldn't tell the truth.

"We attended the wedding together! That's it!" He said in a firm tone.

"She could have gone with Avinash. Why you? And where is Sneha? You shooed her off?? Call her here now!"

"She can't, she is not in town." She whispered.

"And you are???? You are so much in my Mayank? You want to sleep with him, isn't it??" His mother accused her and a small droplet left her eye.

"Sara! Stop it!" His father shouted.

"Why?? It's true, isn't it? That's why you want me to keep shut??" His mom yelled again.

"She is my wife!" Mayank shouted staring angrily towards his mother.

Everyone fell silent with his declaration.

"What are you saying?" His father asked him.

"With all those ceremonies.... Everyone got exchange and I got married to Nidhi instead of Sneha." He explained.

"She did this intentionally--" his mother was saying but his father cut him off.

"Enough! It's no one's fault." He said.

His mother gave a murderous glare to her and then stormed out of the house.

"Take rest, come for dinner someday. Lets discuss it over the table." His father patted his shoulder.
"Bring your parents, if you feel comfortable Nidhi. I guess they are unaware of it, too. They have a right to know. But it's just a suggestion. You are a better judge." His father said to her. She nodded but didn't raise her head, he apologized smiled towards him and left.

"Nidhi?" Mayank called when they were all alone in the room.

She didn't response.

He caught her shoulders and shock her a bit, again no response.

She blankly stared in his eyes when he raised her chin.
"Nidhi?" He asked in a concerned tone but she didn't bulge.
He frowned but then softly touched her cheek.
"It's going to be okay, I promise."
He smiled beautifully.

"How?" She whispered. "Your father is right, I have to inform my parents. I don't know how they will take this and divorce?...... What so funny?" She frowned when she saw him enjoying a private joke.

"Not funny, but amusing." He said still laughing lightly.

"Amusing?"

"I thought you'll be upset because of my mother's behavior." He laughed.