One-Lexi

I remember the feel of the sun on my skin, the wind in my hair, his hand on my knee as we drove in his red Mustang along the seaside drive. I remember the salty scent in the air, the water lapping at my painted toes, my lime green bikini wet with ocean water. I remember the blue sky, the birds flying overhead, the trees and mountains tall above. That was my life for twelve years. Beaches, mountains, ocean. New Zealand was so beautiful. And then it was all taken away from me.

His name was Austin. He was from California, and moved to New Zealand when he was six, just like me. I first met him when waiting in line at the ice cream parlor. As time had worn on, we had loved each other more than family, more than just friends. Of course, he was my best friend, but he was also much more. The word "boyfriend" doesn't seem to describe all the things he was to me. I remember the kisses in the sand. Walks on the beach late at night. Long hikes up the mountains.

I found out we were moving just four days ago, and now here I sit on the plane back to Oklahoma, where I spent the first six year of my life. I was in my room texting Austin when my parents called me to the living room for a family talk. That's when I found out about the move. I couldn't help but cry, knowing that my perfect, beautiful life was soon to change. I thought about Austin. How could I tell him? I kept it from him until the next night, when I asked if he could go to dinner and a movie.

He met me outside of the restaurant, taking both of my hands in his and kissing me, right at first. Tears welled up in my eyes.

"What's wrong, gorgeous?" he asked.

I shook my head. "There's something I need to tell you."

"What? What is it?"

"I'm moving the day after tomorrow."

Austin raised his eyebrows. "Where to?"

I squeezed my eyes shut. "Back to Oklahoma."

And I remember his reaction, knowing that our days were so limited...knowing that in less than three days I would be on the other side of the world. The rest of the night was spent somewhat sadly. I wouldn't see him for a long time. Most likely, I wouldn't see him ever again.

He came to see us off at the airport this morning. He squeezed my hand, his eyes red and puffy like he'd been crying. But to me he was still the most beautiful person in the world. He took me in his arms, and I hugged him like I never had, knowing that this was the last time I'd feel the touch of his warm skin, smell his sweet scent, hear his loving voice. Knowing that after this, it would be all over. I kissed him, knowing that it was the last time I'd feel his lips on mine.

I bit my lip to keep from crying. "I love you," I whispered. "I'll never forget you."

Austin tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear. "I'm going to miss you so much," he said. "I'll even pay for the long-distance calls and texts."

I smiled weakly. Behind me, my mom called my name, telling me that we should get in line.

"I have to go," I whimpered into his shoulder. "Promise me you'll think about me."

"I'll never think about anything else ever again. I love you, Lex."

I took a step backwards, distancing myself. "Bye, Austin."

"I'll see you again, Lex," he told me. "I know I will."

I nodded, though I knew that it was very doubtful. Beginning to walk away, I waved at him when I reached my parents, already feeling too far from him. And before turning the corner, I chanced a look back...it was the last time I would ever see Austin, so tan, and his sandy hair, and his muscular chest...and he was staring after me.