Sixteen-Austin

{A/N hey y'all. I am sincerely sorry for my absence...it's been almost a month since I last updated. My life has been really busy and I have been writing, I swear. In fact, I'm almost done writing chapter 17. I've had this chapter done for about a week, but my family has been out of town so I haven't been able to post it. I really hope that you guys haven't given up on Lexi and Austin. The break will never be this long again, I promise. I feel terrible for leaving you all like this...but I'm back now!! I promise I won't leave again. The next chapter after this should be up in the next couple of days...possibly tomorrow. Please guys, hang in there and be patient, don't give up on me. The story will get better. If you like Long Distance, please remember to vote! That would make me so happy! And also, feedback is much appreciated. I respond to all comments! Before you read the chapter I'm posting now, you might need a recap because it's been so long since the last Austin chapter! Basically, in the last chapter, Taylor found out about Lexi and it caused a fight between Taylor and Austin. Austin went to her house two days later and apologized, promising that he would end things with Lexi and that he only has feelings for Taylor. She forgave him, and she became his girlfriend. The chapter ended when the two of them were leaving the grocery store and a man pulled up and asked Austin if he knew a boy named Austin McCloud or Austin Jones. Austin figured out that the man was his father. And now, without any more time wasted, here is chapter 16! I apologize because it's short and not very exciting, but the next chapter will be good, I can promise you that. So here you go! --Haley xx}

"TAYLOR, GET IN the car," I demand, trying to keep my voice from shaking. She looks at me cautiously but climbs into the Mustang anyway. She knows better than to question me in this situation.

Is he really here right now? My father, who I haven't seen since I was six. My father, who beat my mother and never cared for us. My father, who back in California would come home drunk every night and pass out on the couch.

When he called me on the phone, however long ago that was, I felt angry. Now, seeing him standing in front of me, I don't feel anything at all. Just... emptiness.

He is in his late forties, with a short, scruffy beard that doesn't hang from his chin. He wears rectangular glasses, and his face is etched with deep lines. The man is about my height, with dark grey hair, wearing a navy blue polo and khaki pants.

Now that I think about it, he does look familiar. Like a vague, unclear wisp of a memory. He has changed greatly over the years, and I was only six when we left. He doesn't look like me, but he is clean and smart-looking, instead of the dirty, homeless drunk that I have almost always imagined him to be.

For so long, I have been planning speeches for what I would say if I ever were to see my father again. But now, none of that comes to mind, and instead I say,

"How did you find us?"

His face breaks into a smile, looking me over.

"Austin. It's really you."

I run a hand over my hair and repeat my question. "How did you find us?"

"We have so much to talk about. All I am asking for is a chance to explain, to apologize, and I only ask that you at least try to hear me out."

I find myself nodding. "I just-now isn't the best time-"

My father nods, as well. He tells me to meet him at seven tonight at the burger joint down the street...the same burger joint I took Taylor to on our date.

I get in my car, still in shock, and fill Taylor in on everything that he said. I then drop her off at her home, and head to my house to drop of the groceries...I must be careful not to mention any of this to my mom.

•••

He sits on a bench outside waiting on me, and stands when he spots me walking towards him.

"Let's go inside," he says.

While we order our food, it is awkwardly quiet; neither of us know what to say.

"Why?" I ask quietly, sipping my Coke.

"Because I was a stupid, worthless, lazy drunk. When you and your mother left, I was devastated, driven into depression. Several years went by and I stayed the same, if I didn't get worse," my father begins. "Then I met Carol...she helped me change, it's as simple as that. I have changed into a better person, and I would never dream of doing the things I did back then. I got a job with the police in electronics, and made good enough money. Carol and I got married, and I have been happy, except I wanted to find my son and build a relationship with him. So I used resources at work to find you, and here I am. It's a simple story, Austin, and I really hope that you can find it in your heart to forgive me and see me as a new person."

I think for a moment. Is it worth it, to try for a relationship with my father? He seems genuine; the least I could do is give him a chance.

"Okay," I mutter.

And then he smiles: a kind, loving, grateful smile. "Thank you."

•••

Taylor grips my hand and leans into my shoulder as we walk to my car. She's been over at my house, and I am driving her home. Her parents are still in Sydney.

When we reach her front door, she digs a spare key from a hanging flower basket and uses it, then replaces it.

"Now you know where we keep our spare key, I'm trusting you not to break in," she teases, a bright smile upon her face.

"Be careful, I might rob your house now."

She opens the door wider. "You want to come in for a while?"

I shrug. "Sure."

Fifteen minutes later, Taylor is changed into pajama pants and a T-shirt and is digging in the linen closet for fuzzy blankets while I pop popcorn. We watch a movie, snuggled close on the couch.

I can't help but study her face in the dim light, fully focused on the television. Absentmindedly stroking her pale, soft hair, I am mesmerized by how beautiful she is without even trying. How did I get so lucky? She deserves better than me.

I stand, walking into the kitchen to refill the popcorn bowl. Looking over my shoulder at Taylor, I snap a mental picture. She is dressed in striped pajama pants and a large white Wisconsin shirt, her hair spread out all over the couch and pushed back by a brown headband. She leans slightly to the side, her feet pulled up, green eyes intently watching the screen, purple fuzzy socks covering her feet.

And I can't help but wonder, how long does it take to fall in love with someone?