Five-Lexi

THINGS ARE GOING downhill for me fast.

I miss New Zealand like crazy, and I've decided that Oklahoma sucks. Sure, it has its own unique qualities, but to me there's nothing to do. I can't call friends and meet them at the beach-for two reasons actually. There are no beaches, and I have no friends. And sure, my family is nice, but they've been driving me insane trying to spend so much time with me. I need my space. Brittany is constantly wanting to be with me. It's like she idolizes me, like I'm her big sister. Don't get me wrong, she's nice, but she's pretty constant.

Also, I miss Austin so much I think I could die. I miss everything about him...he was my other half.

But the last time he called me, I got kind of mad. We were talking and being all sweet, and then he brought up a new girl named Taylor. So obviously, I became defensive, wondering why he started talking about another girl while on the phone with his girlfriend. And the worst part? Austin said she was cute. And friendly. And nice. And he talked to her.

And she likes him.

I think the whole end of the conversation was weird. Is he already noticing other girls? I would never give him up so easily.

But anyway, there are also several other things I don't like about Oklahoma. Maybe I'll get used to it, but who knows? As of right now, I want to go home.

•••

Today's my first day to go to school, as I'm so nervous I can't think straight. My whole body is jittering and I can't stop it, no matter how many times I tell

myself-or someone else tells me-that it will be fine.

I dress in a blue, sleeveless, flowing top and white shorts. Still shaking, I brush my teeth and straighten my hair, then apply my makeup. Choking down a granola bar, even though I have no appetite, I head into the office where my dad is sitting. My mom is still asleep.

"Ready to go, Dad?" I ask, running a hand through my straight hair. My dad is taking me to school until I can get a car, because I didn't have one in New Zealand. I just rode my bike everywhere, or Austin drove me.

"You're all grown up," Dad says, standing. I smile, unsure of what to say.

"You nervous?"

I nod, doubtful that I can form any more words without puking.

When we arrive at the high school, we park and walk in. My dad talks to the secretary about senior enrollment and blah-blah-blah, but I can't concentrate on anything she says. Then she hands my schedule, I take my stuff to my locker, and I'm off to my first class: geography.

I find the classroom and hesitate before knocking. Knocking means beginning my life as a student in Oklahoma, like I was back in Kindergarten. I take a deep breath, letting my fist tap hardly against the wooden door, and it opens just a few moments later.

The teacher, Mrs. Smithson, stands before me with a smile on her face.

"Hi," she says, extending her hand, "you must me Lexi!"

I smile and grip her fingers. "That's me," I exclaim, suddenly getting a boost of confidence.

"Well, welcome to my class, Lexi. I'm Mrs. Smithson."

I'm extremely grateful that at least my first teacher is nice. But then I'm mortified as the teacher grabs ahold of my arm and leads my to the front of the class, standing in front of the entire room of bored-looking teenagers. The classes were much smaller in New Zealand, and I feel my confidence boost quickly draining away.