Four-Austin

THERE WAS A new girl at school today. Her name is Taylor, and she just moved here from Wisconsin. There are a lot of Americans at my school. I spoke to her some, and she was really nice and friendly. I think she likes me. Maybe. She has long blonde hair and is tall and thin, with bright green eyes. And although she's very cute, I'll never move on from Lexi.

Right now I'm about to go to bed, but I can't sleep. I still can't sleep well at all, and I have to find a way to be able to talk to Lexi. It's driving me insane. I don't care how expensive those stupid calls are, I have to talk to her.

I haven't been myself at all in the past few days since she's left. I've been quieter, more reserved. Several times today I found my friends giving me weird looks, or waving their hands in front of my face because of my lack of focus, my mind once again wandering to Lexi.

I wonder what she's doing now. I wonder if she's met her family yet. I wonder if she's even gotten her bearings. I wonder when she'll start her new school. I wonder if she's thinking of me.

Oklahoma is seventeen hours behind us, so Lexi is probably sleeping right now. So tomorrow at eight, when I wake up, she'll be awake, too. I'll try to call her then if I can. Although it's hard to wait, she's probably worn out from all the traveling, and I don't want to bother her.

I climb into bed feeling better that I at least know what she's doing. She's safe and sound, dreaming-I wonder what her dreams are about tonight. Mine will be about her.

•••

The next morning, I wake with my heart pounding. I have extra time before school...so of course I'll call Lexi. I dial her number, like I have thousands of times, and press call.

"Hello?"

I shut my eyes tight, gripping the phone as though it will fly away. It's her. I can hear her. I can hear her sweet, loving voice.

"Lexi."

It's all I can say, all I can manage: her name.

"Austin?" she says excitedly. "Oh my gosh, you called!"

"I said I would, didn't I, gorgeous?"

"I miss you so much."

"I bet I miss you more."

"I want to come home."

"Things aren't the same here without you. I can't stop thinking about you."

"I can't stop thinking about you either."

I sigh, sick at the thought of how badly I want her here. "How is it there?" I ask.

"Fine, I guess," she responds. "My family's nice, and I love my house."

"Good," I say. "When are you starting school?"

"Probably tomorrow," Lexi mumbles. "Oh well. It'll get me out of unpacking, anyway."

"Are you nervous?"

"Yes!"

"Don't be. Why would you be nervous? They'll love you! You're beautiful, and smart, and kind...and you moved from New Zealand. I wouldn't be surprised if you became the most popular girl there."

Lexi laughs. "Yeah, right."

"There was a new girl at school today. From Wisconsin."

"Oh really?"

"Yeah," I say. "Taylor. She seems nice."

"Oh," Lexi says. But there's something different-new-in her voice. "Was she...cute?"

Strange. "Well...yeah, I guess."

"Oh. Did you, um, talk to her?"

"Yeah, a little. She's really friendly. I think she likes me."

Woah. Wrong answer.

"Oh. Okay. Well, Austin, I gotta go. Bye."

And she hangs up before I can even squeeze in an "I love you".

Well...that didn't go as planned. I try to blame myself. I shouldn't have called Taylor cute; I should've said that Lexi was way more beautiful. But hey, she asked, right?

I want to call her back, but I have a suspicion that she won't answer. I groan-I always mess things up.

"Austin, are you off the phone?" my mom calls for me.

"Yes," I tell her.

"Then get ready for school. I don't want you to be late."

So I get dressed and ready, riding my bike to school.

•••

"Austin!"

I look over my shoulder as I put my bike in the bike rack. Blake is jogging towards me.

"You know that new girl? Taylor? The hot one?"

I shut my eyes, thinking of my conversation with Lexi this morning.

"Yes," I mutter.

"Well, anyway, man-get ready. Word is she has a crush on you."

"She's only been here for a day, Blake. How could she have a crush on anyone?"

Blake shrugs. "It's just what I've heard."

"Well, she needs to know that I have a girlfriend."

"Oh. You and Lex are still together?"

I smile smugly. "It's a long-distance relationship."

"Oh, okay. See you around, Austin."

Blake hurries away, and I walk to class with Sam, taking a seat in the back like I usually do, while Sam heads to the front with his girlfriend. I envy him, missing the days when Lexi would occupy the seat beside me.

"Hey, Austin," a sweet voice says. I turn my head to the seat that is usually empty now that Lexi's gone. "Mind if I sit here? I just don't know anyone else. Since I'm-you know-new and all."

Taylor is standing there, blonde hair falling into her face, green eyes looking thoughtful and confident.

"Sure," I say, pulling out the chair for her. She gives me a smile and sits down.

There are still a few minutes before class begins, and I can't leave her sitting awkwardly next to me. I have to talk to her, even though-for some reason-she makes me nervous.

"So, um...do you like New Zealand?"

Taylor turns to face me, and her eyes are sad. "It's beautiful. I love it here. But I really miss Wisconsin-you know...it's my home."

Thinking of Lexi's move, I nod. I almost bring her up, but I remember this morning's conversation when I mentioned Taylor, and I don't want that to happen again, so I keep quiet.

All through the class, I find myself stealing glances over at Taylor. She's doing something as simple as writing notes, yet she looks so...so-I can't say it, I shouldn't say it, but it's the truth-beautiful. The way her bangs fall in front of her eyes, the way her eyebrows crease in concentration, how she flicks her eyes over to me and smiles when she realizes I'm watching her.

I smile to myself and shake my head. What am I doing? I'm in love with Lexi. There's no doubt about that. I'm not supposed to notice other girls.

So why am I noticing Taylor?