Seventeen-Lexi

"No, he asked me last night on the Ferris wheel," I tell the girls. The five of us are in Haley's bedroom, after school. The music store is closed today because there is supposed to be a huge storm tonight.

Just as my friends start to respond, my phone rings; I press it to my ear. "Hello?"

"Lexi honey, hey!" It's my mom.

"Hey Mom, what's up?"

"I just wanted to make sure you're safe for the storms. There's gonna be some tornadoes around, too, which is really odd for September."

"Mom, I'll be fine. I'm at Haley's house right now, I'll probably stay here until the storms are over."

"Alright, but just remember, if there's a tornado close, get inside a closet downstairs and don't be by any windows. I'm sad that I don't get to be with you for your first tornado."

"Mom, I'll stay safe, I swear. I have to go, I'll call you later."

"Okay, bye sweetie."

I end the call and roll my eyes.

"Overprotective mom?" Claire asks.

"Major," I tell her.

"I still can't believe you and Landon are dating," Morgan says, braiding her blonde hair to the side. "He doesn't seem like the dating type."

"No offense," Haley remarks, "because I don't know him...but he seems like the type of guy that shags girls every night just because he can."

I smile. "He is. But maybe I can be the one to change that."

I catch Jordan rolling her eyes at me, but decide to ignore it.

Claire giggles. "I love your accent."

I frown. "What?"

"You have an accent," Haley says. "It's cute."

"What do you expect? I spent most of my life surrounded by Aussies and Brits, even though I'm neither. To me, you guys have accents. After being here, though, mine is fading."

"It's still cool, though," Claire comments. "I wish I had an accent."

Jordan immediately stands and slips on her shoes, her red hair in a sheet down her back. "Alright, I'm out of here. See y'all later."

Before any of us can say another word, she walks out of Haley's room and I hear her footsteps hurrying down the staircase. I wait until I hear her car start to say, "Why does she hate me?"

Morgan shakes her head. "Jordan is just very...interesting. She loves getting attention, and is a huge drama queen. It's as simple as this: she's jealous of you."

"Why?"

"Well," Haley says. "because you're new, and naturally getting lots of attention. You're pretty, nice...you have a lot that she doesn't. She fears that you're replacing her. And also, she just moved here from Florida two years ago, and she hates you stealing her new-girl glory."

"That's stupid."

Morgan says, "I know, but that's just who Jordan is. Honestly, none of us are huge fans of her."

For a few more hours, the four is us hang out and talk. I'm so glad that I am friends with these girls-they are awesome. I'm still closest to Morgan, but Haley and Claire are good friends, too.

We're in Haley's kitchen drinking hot cocoa when the thunder starts, so loud it shakes the house.

Immediately, Haley's little brother John runs into the kitchen. He's ten, and super cute.