Three-Lexi

I FIND OUT the minute I step out of the Oklahoma City airport that Oklahoma is as different from New Zealand as you can get.

The air's scent...it's not of water or sand or anything of the variation. It's hot and stiff and thick. At least a hundred degrees, and my mom says it can get a lot hotter. Hot with no beaches? And no ocean? What are we supposed to do outside? And it's all flat. In the distance I see no hills, no mountains. I feel almost claustrophobic.

We get a taxi cab and take it to my grandparents' house, which is just a few streets over from ours. My parents always knew that we would come back, so instead of selling our house, we rented it out. And apparently yesterday, my family went and cleaned it so it would be ready for us.

I don't want to get out of he taxi. I don't, I don't, I don't. But Mom is so happy to be home, with the comforting knowledge that her parents are only a few steps away. And my dad looks relieved to be home as well, although his parents are dead.

Apparently my aunt and uncle and cousin drove in from McAlester to be here when we arrive. My cousin is a year younger than me, and her name is Brittany.

My parents are already out of the car, and the cab driver is helping remove the luggage.

"Lexi, come over and help us, please," Dad calls. Reluctantly, I climb from the taxi and grab a bag.

That's when I hear the shriek, loud and high-pitched, obviously belonging to my grandma. "They're here!"

The house's side door opens and out spills everyone, stopping my in my tracks. It's just five people, but to me it seems like an overly excited mob.

My grandma runs in front of everyone else, a short woman with short blonde hair. Mom rushes forward and hugs her tightly. I almost smile at the sight of my mother reuniting with the woman she hasn't seen in eight years. My dad shakes hands with my grandpa, a tan man with glasses and no hair in the middle. Once my mom's embrace is over, my grandma hurries to me, throwing her arms around me. When she pulls back, I see she has tears in her eyes.

"How did you get so big?" she asks. I laugh, awkwardly, unknowing of what to say. My grandpa walks over and hugs me, too. After many exchanged "hello"s and "how are you"s and brief chatter, we go inside and talk for hours, but all I really want to do is sleep. I'm exhausted. Brittany seems really nice; she is built stocky with dark brown hair and eyes. Brittany was only five when I left, so she probably doesn't remember me much. But now that I'm around everyone, and I've returned, I find that I remember everyone-and everything else-a lot more than I thought I did.

After what seems like a long, long time, my parents and I are finally driven to our house. We say our goodbyes, and haul the luggage inside. It's clean and still fully decorated. After a walk around, I decide I like the house. Although it's not huge, it's actually a beautiful and nice home. I walk into my bedroom upstairs and smile. It's decorated pastel pink and baby blue and lavender, and fairy themed, just like I remember. This is where I used to sleep and play when I was so small. The bed is twin-sized, and there's a white chest and dresser, and a black nightstand and desk.

Barely unloading anything except toiletries, I get ready for the night and climb into the small bed, instantly realizing how exhausted I actually am. The last thing I see before drifting away is my cell phone-just five days ago I was sitting on my bed, at home in New Zealand, texting Austin, having no clue that my life would soon change so drastically. And the last thing I feel before losing consciousness is a pang, a terrible pang, of homesickness.

And longing for Austin.

(Author's Note-hey guys! Thank you so much for reading! I'm like really new on Wattpad so I don't know much about it, so I would really appreciate feedback and suggestions! Also if you like Long-Distance so far can you please vote and spread it around? I want it to get noticed! Thank you!)